Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two drives using the same drive letter

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Let's say I have a network drive mapped as Y: on a computer. I also have an external hard drive that will be mapped as Y: when I connect it. For reasons I won't get into, I need both drives to be mapped as Y:.

Obviously, you can't access two drives at the same time using the same drive letter. So, what I usually do now, just before connecting the external hard drive, I unmap the network drive. Then when I disconnect the external drive, I remap the network drive as Y:

Is there any way, however, that I can set Windows (XP Home SP3) so that I won't have to unmap/remap the network drive? Meaning anytime I connect the external drive, it will automatically "overtake" the network drive as Y:? And then when I unplug the external drive, the network drive would automatically go back to being Y:?

thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Disconnect the Network Drive (right-click My Computer), connect the External Drive and then you can reconnect the Network Drive and pick a new letter for it. You can only have one device per drive letter.