Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Long Distance

• Please log in to reply

chewie8008

chewie8008

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Here is what i'm trying to do, my home PC is setup in the computer room and I have a 47" LCD tv in the very next room. I want to be able to use that PC on the tv in the other room without having to move the actual tower. Sooooo... I have a long VGA cable that I can run through the wall to hook the PC to the Tv. However, i'm trying to get a mouse/keyboard hookup that will control that PC from the other room.

From what I gather i'm probably not going to be able to find a wireless keyboard/mouse with that kind of range(10 ft straight shot, through a wall). So, what I thought of doing was, getting a wireless mouse/keyboard that communicates with a USB receiver. Then I could use this...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812191054

which is a 9.8 usb cable extender, hook two of those together and then have a USB hub connected to the end of those cables and then plug the receivers for the mouse and keyboard into the USB hub in the other room with the TV. My question is, will that work? Can you plug two extenders into each other and then a hub into that and have the receivers work?

I've attached a really cool drawing of what i'm talking about, kinda hard to explain...

drawing.jpg

Advertisements

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nextag.com has 20'-0" usb cables: http://www.nextag.co...on/compare-html

My Logitech wireless desktop set will go about 15'-0" although I haven't tried to go through walls, but I will try it tonight and let you know tomorrow, jja

chewie8008

chewie8008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright cool, yeah it would be easiest and cheapest if I could just go without the extender/usb hub.

Thanks

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well tried my wireless desktop from another room and it worked if I was pointing it through the doorway, still I was a "U-turn" from the receiver, but not by pointing at the adjacent wall, however I was able to use a wall mirror to reflect the infared to the receiver, lol, smoke & mirrors, good luck, jja
By the way I could get as far as 15 to 20 feet from the receiver.

chewie8008

chewie8008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Well do you think using a USB extender cable with a usb hub connected to it would work?

jjawm

jjawm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not sure of the hub part of it, but if you use a ps2 for your keyboard/mouse connection you can also get an extention cable for it. My wireless desktop uses a ps2 connection, some usb items will not work properly through a hub, jja