Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Picture problems

• Please log in to reply

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Hey Geeks! I'm having some issues. I've posted in other forums on here but I've been directed to the Vista forum. Basically what's been happening is whenever I try to upload a single picture on various websites, I get the window to find the picture, but when I click on the folder to get the picture, the window turns black and white and freezes until I hit X or Cancel. This has happened to me on different websites on both Opera and Firefox, so this must be an OS issue.

Another thing that's been happening is when I go to My Computer>(my name)>Pictures, it would freeze up and the green status thing in the address bar would go across really slowly, and some of the pictures wouldn't show up. Then it freezes. After that, if I close and open My Computer again, I just get a white window. I have to reboot in order for it to work again. I created a new folder on my D: drive and moved all of my pictures to that. I can open them up in My Computer alright, but I still can't upload them online.

I'm crossing my fingers on trying to fix this, because I'm leaving for Japan next week and it would be really nice to be able to upload pictures for my friends back home!

Thanks!
~L

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) To remove image preview, type in:
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll (<----watch for "spaces")
3) Press Enter.

Restart computer

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I'm getting an error message:

The module "regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found.
Make sure that "shimgvw.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file then try again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for a workaround...try using Picasa...get it here...
when you install Picasa it will ask if you want it to scan your computer for pictures...say yes...
it has option to email built right in...it will even launch g-mail and use it if you have a g-mail account ( I highly recommend you get one)...if not you can export a picture to your desktop and try sending it however you have been sending them..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, id you have shimgvw.dll file in C:\Windows\System32

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Happyrock, the problem isn't sending them in email, the problem is uploading them to sites like photobucket, facebook, and an avatar picture on shockhound.

Broni, I found shimgvw.dll and shimgvw.dll.mui in the System32 folder. I get an error message with chinese characters on it when I click on shimgvw.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There is no reason to try to open dll file.
Your shimgvw.dll may be corrupted.
Right click on it, click "Properties", and post back what version of the file is reported.
I may send you mine.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Attached is zipped file. Unzip it.
Restart computer in Safe Mode.
Rename your shimgvw.dll to shimgvw.old, and paste my file into C:\Windows\System32 folder.
Restart computer.

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I think you forgot the attachment.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Haha, sorry for that...
I often do this...

Attached Files

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
It's alright. Well I just tried it and when I tried to change the file name to .old, it kept saying I needed permission to do that and I'm pretty sure I was logged in as administrator.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Take ownership of that file: http://www.winmatrix...files-in-vista/

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
I downloaded TakeControl. Am I supposed to use it in regular mode or in safe mode? I just tried it in safe mode and kept getting errors.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Honestly, I never tried it in Safe Mode, so I suggest you take ownership in Normal Mode, and then restart in Safe Mode to replace the file.