Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Locate Operating System

• Please log in to reply

Teesnum

Teesnum

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

Currently helping a friend with a e-machine t1140 (hate it) and i have checked the cables and trying to boot from disk but to no avail all i get on the screen is no operating system please help

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
so you are trying to boot to a cd/dvd drive and it does not work or are you talking about the hd? You need a bootable cd such as a windows install cd or bart pe or Norton System Works, and the bios must be configured to boot to cd drive first.

Teesnum

Teesnum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well I wasnt trying to get it to boot from the CD because the HD is formatted and should boot from the HD but it is showing on the screen there is no operating system so i replaced the HD with a different one I still get the same prompt then I tried booting from the CD and install XP it did a complete install then once it rebooted it showed on the screen no operating system. I guess I should have put all this in my initial statement. Thanks for your direction so far.