Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No display output

• Please log in to reply

Hottwire

Hottwire

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, finally joined after not getting my custom pc to work.

Specs :
MB: Asus P5QL Pro
power supply: thermaltake @ 600w
RAM: GEIL Dragon 1066 x 4 x1gb
CPU: Intel core 2 quad 6600 ~ 2.4ghz
gcard: BFG 8800GTS 640mb
Soundcard: Creative audigy
and a BFG Physx card

basically a friend was using this exact layout minus the soundcard physx and gcard. and he had the mobo working with a display he was using a BFG 260 card. He gave me his mobo and ram and cpu because he upgraded to the new I7. Anyway i plugged all my kit in which was working on my old system, and all the fans start up even the one on the gcard (the physx fan is broke) the lights on the ram light up even the one in the cpu and the one on the mobo to say it has power.

after powering the machine on all the kit turns on after a few seconds the fan on the 8800gts starts spinning but there is no output to the screen, i have tried using a ps2 keyboard to get into the bios but no luck. The ethernet isn't lighting up and from the sounds of things its not loading from my HDD's.

Ive tried taking it all apart 2-3 times i've tried different ram and even just swapping to test they all work. i even tested with just the mobo, cpu 1 ram stick and the gcard plugged in, but still no luck.

I'm a college student and really need this computer to work, and i cannot go splashing lots of cash on it.

Thanks for any help, really appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Hottwire.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Have you tried to test the MOBO outside of the case?
If not try this....

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Hottwire

Hottwire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have tried this and it didn't seem to make any difference, the thing that is most peculiar is that this board was working only last night before i swapped graphic cards, sound cards and added a physx card to it. so i know that the RAM, CPU and mobo work.

I also know that my graphic card, sound card and physx card all work becasue they worked on my system before i upgraded to this system only last night.

So you can understand my frustration that all of the hardware was working last night. but is not working now.

I even tried using 3 different types of RAM and still no difference, and i tried using a alternative graphic card which also made no difference.

Thanks for the help

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Ah the P5QL Pro I got that motherboard.
Good motherboard I made the mistake when I bought it though thinking the Yellow RCA in the back was video output, sadly its a Audio jack ran to wal*mart bought a video card and I got it running that day.

Truely annoying.
xD

Express gate totally worth it though.

Edit: Posted on another thread posted here for your refernce also.
The 24pin is a mandatory and most 4pin plug ins are mandatory also.
My P5QL Pro wouldnt start until both were hooked up.

=3

Hope that helps.

Edited by TheWhiteRose000, 04 September 2009 - 11:10 AM.

Hottwire

Hottwire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
dude UR FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

it works stupid lil 4 plug pin :@

:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations for a successful resolution to your issue.