Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Searching For Optimization / Clean-Up Application

• Please log in to reply

mbressman

mbressman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I am an IT Consultant, and am looking to find a good optimization/clean-up program that I can use on my client's machines. Currently, I do all the optimization manually because it seems a lot of the optimization and clean-up programs out there are either not great at doing their job, or aren't transparent in what they do, or potentially cause problems either because they are poorly designed or inundated with spyware/adware/etc.

I think the most important feature of an optimization/clean-up program for me would be one where I maintain total control over what it is doing (i.e. it says it wants to do A, B, C, and then I tell it to only do A and C and it only does A and C and nothing else). Also, I'd want a reputable one that doesn't contain any spyware/adware or anything else that could potentially cause problems. Hopefully it would be able to run on at least WinXP and WinVista (and maybe on Win2000 and Win7 also).

Obviously, the program would have to have the option of doing things such as clean up temp files, defrag, list/diagnose background processes and startup processes that might slow the computer down, and more. I'm thinking I'd prefer the program not do any registry cleaning (or at least give the option to not do this) as its been my experience that allowing a program to "clean" the registry can cause more problems than it solves.

I'm hoping that some of you out there might have some suggestions for me. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone out there has any other good diagnostic programs (such as a network diagnostic tool that maybe does stuff such as measuring bandwidth and latency, etc.) I'd be very interested in hearing about them as I'm always looking for new tools that help me diagnose and fix issues faster and more efficiently.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi mbressman,
Geeks to Go has a Terms of use policy which was available to read when signing up as a member .
Terms of Use
3.We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

# The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of Geeks to Go. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.
# If linking to another tech site the resource must not be available on Geeks to Go through either the Support Forums or the rest of the site, and the link must be relevant to the members question.

I'm sure you can understand mbressman :)

Edited by Topaz, 04 September 2009 - 10:14 AM.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
If your a IT consultant you should really know how to find it.
=P

But I guess I'll help you out in this case.
Pitform made one.
CCleaner.

Its free, It works, it also doubles as Add/remove programs and also as a registry scrubber.

did I mention its free.
=P

www.filehippo.com
They also made Defraggler a well as the name suggests Degrags the hard drive.
Better then the one windows puts in too.

=P