Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Most of memory used suddenly?

• Please log in to reply

postce

postce

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hello...

My computer has been sluggish and I just noticed that I only have 10.5 GB of memory left of 100 GB or so. I think this is VERY odd...it is a relatively new computer too so it isn't like I have a lot of stuff on it. I finally wrote down what was being used and it only adds up to about 72 GB or so by folder but when I click on the properties of the C drive it says 90 or so GB are being used. How do I figure out where the other 18 GB are? Also it says 30 GB are being used on Itunes music (which doesn't count the other Itunes features such as the Album art...etc and my husband says that is wrong too b/c he only has about 16 GB of music? Something isn't right...

TIA,
Postce

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, System Restore reserves about 12% of your total hdd size for its use. That would account for at least 12GB of that total. You really don't need that much reserved so go into System Restore and reduce the folder size to about 5%.

Next, make sure you clean out all temp and temp internet folders and see if that helps.

Lastly, do a defrag on the hdd.

Murray

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thank you! I'm not sure how to reduce the folder size? Also I did the defragmentation and I did disk clean up and it didn't seem to help much.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Take a look HERE

Go to the very bottom of the page and it will give you the instructions on how to do it.

Murray

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Sorry to be a pain, but I've tried everything and my program settings window does not look the same. It doesn't have the specific systems restore tab and when I go to the window that looks similar that lists my drive there isn't a settings button that I can go into the c drive. Can't figure out how to get into the c drive to change the folder setting. I have Vista if that helps.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Also don't forget the Recycle bin takes about 10%.

:)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Can you get to the System Restore window? Click on Start then Programs. Now click on Accessories and then System Tools and System Restore.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 04 September 2009 - 11:37 AM.

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
On the left side of that screen is a set of words in blue that says something like System Restore Settings.

Click on that and it should take you to the screen at the bottom of the page in the link I provided earlier.

Murray

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
That is where I was before but my Systems Property window doesn't include the settings button to the right of the disks? The only options are system restore and setting my own restore date...no "settings" only button which would get me to the file.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Look at the first picture in the link I gave you. On the right side of the example, you will see the words "System Restore Settings".. Click on those words.

Now you should get to the screen the bottom picture shows after the words "The opening screen for System Restore contains a link called [System Restore Settings]. Clicking it will open the System Properties page which is accessible from many different locations and via many methods. The property page allows you to disable System Restore on any or all drives with the one caveat that it must be enabled on C:\ if any of the other drives are enabled. Click [Settings] to open the page shown below."

Murray

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I don't have those options at all. When I go to system tools-system restore - when the box pops up the options I have are blue words that say "how does system restore work?", a circle I can pick that is to undo system restore, another circle that I can choose to choose a different restore point or blue words that say "open system protection" so I can create a restore point. I don't have any restore settings buttons at all. My screen is completely different. When I choose open system protection the tab is system properties (there isn't a restore tab like the example) and it shows the disks but once again no settings button.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Murray....in post 5 you missed where she had vista.

I am not familiar with vista, but found the following on a google search. The first looks easier to use.
http://www.howtogeek...usage-in-vista/
http://www.downloads...system-restore/

See if that helps.

postce

postce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
That did it! Thanks!! And thanks Murray too for helping! Now I have 22GB free which still seems high, but with the amount of photos and Itunes makes more sense to me. A lot better than 9-10GB! I had 14 GB in the system restore area and put it down to the examples 3 GB.

Thank you!
Christine

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for letting us know.
You might want to consider, if you already don't, an external hard drive for backing up your photos and data.