Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer error: Random crashes Disc read Error BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Ewok

Ewok

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

My computer had 2 os's dual-boot installed. windows vista home primium and windows vista ultimate and it had a recoverey partition. A while ago I shrunk the windows vista home primium to enlarge windows vista ultimate and a while after that they both started to random crash. I had this crashes: BSOD, disc read Error, and errors saying some windows files where missing. After some time I decided to back-up my files and I used my recovery DVD to fully recover my computer to the factory institutions. It workt after the third try. then windows workt but was verry unstable and random freezez. Now i'm getting al the errors again. When I run hardware diagnosis they can't find broken part or something like that. the diagnosis cheked the proccesor the ram and the harddrive. I don't know what's wrong with my computer. Do I have to wipe the harddrive or is it a loose cable. When I try to boot Ubuntu Live-cd it says it can't boot and some errors with saying somthing about bad blocks or somting (not sure it said bad blocks need to chek that)

Does someone know what I have to do or what's causing the error's? and could it be a software error?
please help
Greets. Ewok

PS. sorry for my bad english i'm dutch

Edited by Ewok, 04 September 2009 - 09:43 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What hardware diagnostics did you run?

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.

Ewok

Ewok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ran the PC-docter booteble cd that came with the pc (HP) and seatools for dos. when I ran the hardrive diagnosis with PC_docter I turned the Sata Controller from AHCI to IDE.

But yesterday when I booted my computer I got a screen asking my or I wanted to run windows bootrestore or start windows normaly. windows bootrestore couldn't fix it and when I started windows normaly I saw the microsoft windows logo and that moveing bar for half a second and it rebooted.
That evening i tried to wipe the harddisk with paragon harddisk manager booteble cd and I got: error 0x80

Now i'm running the restore dvd and when it's done I wil run the program and probably wil get andother BSOD for bluescreenview.
another thing everey time after restoring my computer i get an BSOD and whocrashed said that ati****.sys (forgot the exact name) was the problem and after updating the GPU i got no BSOD's for a while and when I got a new one WhoCrashed didn't analyse them and I couldn't find the minidump.

Edited by Ewok, 05 September 2009 - 03:43 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I couldn't find the minidump

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

Ewok

Ewok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I finally got my compter to work but when I run VEW I get only get this Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in Dutch
Report run at 10/09/2009 15:33:07

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'System' Log - Kritiek Type
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

maybe because I did a clean install

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, if you did clean install, I see no reason to continue here.