Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

i have product key but no CD

• Please log in to reply

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
i already made the hard drive external, oops i meant windows*
hmm, i think ill get vista with upgrade to 7, aand use it :), is 7 power hungry (memory hungry?)
how much would u rate it better or worst then vista (5 being equl to vista, 10 being much better, and 0 being the lease favourite

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Check the computer you want to put vista and windows 7 on, some of the older ones wont have drivers. Especially laptops.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You will need at least 2GB of ram for 7 to work halfway decent. 1GB is what they recommend. Vista at least 1GB as well.

Each os has its good and bad parts. Right now, I use Vista Ultimate on two systems and Win7 ultimate on one. I like both.

Murray

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
i am building a system with a friend
here is the question, i asked if it runs vista, or 7, or will be good running it, but no reply yet, it would be a clean install
http://www.geekstogo...it-t251743.html

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
i cant find any win7 releases (cdn) at all... only the open beta, the actual release date is on october 22, 09

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are right as to the release date. I was thinking of the TechNet and MVP people. We got it early in August.

Murray

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
ya, u and MSDN, i just read over, and i read over some intresting articvles about nvidia crashing with vista (i never had nvidia on a vista system before) but now as in im planning to get 7, do u know if there are any issues with it? (GTX 260)?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
My laptop runs an Nvidia card and no issues with that at all on Win7.

I had Vista ultimate on it before and never noticed any problems either.

Murray

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
hmm cool, im thinking i should get windows vista with a free 7 update