Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy disk(s) failed error

• Please log in to reply

gold_y

gold_y

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi this happened to me yesterday.I was online and certainly my screen went blank.I tried to restart and got the error "floppy disk(s) failed" and it didnt restart i went in setup changed the booting sequence which was all messed up , which it wasnt earlier when i last checked, i ran a AV check after logging in,found and deleted a virus and now systen seems to work pretty fine except this minor problem i still get the error "floppy disk(s) failed" when system first boots up and i dont have and have never installed a floppy drive. I have to press F1 to bypass the message whenever i start my system.

Any suggestions on what is happening are welcome.Hope to hear from some one soon.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go into the bios again
Disable any floppy drive showing
Also look for the Floppy Drive Seek and Disable that.
Make sure to save and exit.
Everything should now work correctly

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
no floppy disk showing and floppy disk seek disabled already

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a low cmos battery then
Settings not holding correctly.
Also since this all started with a infection it may be wise to check that out as you may have a Memory resident or bios chip infection

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
the cmos battery oughta be good since this is a relatively new PC.and about other things how do i go about cleaning them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Infections I can not help with.
I would suggest going through the Malware forum and seeing if they can help you.
Since the error emssage happens at intial post then I doubt it has anything to do with windows at all.
I would say somewhere there is a setting in your bios that is still showing active.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i went in setup changed the booting sequence which was all messed up , which it wasnt earlier when i last checked,

I would replace the motherboard battery. The BIOS settings should not change, and in spite of what you may have heard or read, viruses cannot infect the BIOS on modern motherboards, or the CMOS settings - if your motherboard is from the 90s, then maybe, but not likely still.

The BIOS settings in the CMOS can get corrupted, however, not by software or malicious code, but typically by some power anomaly, which can include a weak battery failing to hold a sufficient charge on the CMOS (which is actually a special type of memory device). When the holding charge or voltage on the CMOS drops below a certain threshold, it forgets its data (your BIOS settings). So I would replace the battery. Removing the old will reset your settings again, so upon first boot after replacing the battery, go straight into the BIOS setup menu and set the date and time, check your drives to ensure they were correctly identified, set your boot order and then Save and Exit to boot normally. Make sure you unplug from the wall BEFORE thinking about removing the battery, and also make sure you touch bare metal of the case before reaching in to put you and the computer at the same "potential" to eliminate the possibility of any static discharge destroying any ESD sensitive parts.

Do not touch the new battery with bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand. You can get replacement batteries (typically CR2032) at any battery/watch/camera counter. Take the old battery with you as many counters recycle to help keep lithium out of dumps and water tables.

Edit add: Wow - 3 replies while I was typing the above!

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
malware forum here i come.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just something to add. I have seen a main board drain a cmos battery. This is not very common, but does happen.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That would probably become apparent within a short time of inserting a new battery, and seeing it go dead soon - indicating a short in the board somewhere.

trentdw

trentdw

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
sometimes just reseeding the battery may do the trick.
remember try to stand on a piece of wood make sure one hand is grounded to the frame
never touch the board when standing on carpet. and unplug the power cord 1st.
good luck

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks a million guy i'll keep you posted on whatever happens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update.
Sorry for the long response time I was away and just got back

gold_y

gold_y

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
man i have never seen a faster response on any forum anywhere.Cant wait to complete the course and be a geek myself.Only problem is that i got exams approaching and i havent studied much and i need to make up for the lost time and after they are done i would have to make up for time here i didnt spend here and i look forward to it.

Edited by gold_y, 05 September 2009 - 05:35 PM.