Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ZoneAlarm 5.5.094.000 update didn’t work

• Please log in to reply

docboardman

docboardman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Operating System = Windows 98
AntiVirus = AVG (recently updated)
Antispyware = SpywareGuard
Firewall = Well – nothing now . . .

I have been using ZoneAlarm (Free Version) for several years and operating Windows 98. Upgrades have always gone well. I did the last upgrade to 5.5.062.011 in Feb '05.

Just spent the last three days trying to get the 5.5.094.000 upgrade to work and I get two error messages:

First message:
Could not load the DLL library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\kernel32.dll. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

When I press OK, I get the second message:
Could not load the DLL library C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\vsutil.dll. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

Then the installation stops.

I have looked over what I can find on the internet about this problem and tried several things. To summarise what I have tried:

1. I tried re-downloading the 5.5.094.000 file several times. None of these worked.

2. I tried to sort out any potential problem with certificates using the regsvr32 /u command in the command mode to uninstall them, rebooting, reinstalling them and rebooting. That didn't work.

3. I went to the Verisign site and tried reloading certificates plus went to WindowsUpdate and downloaded a program to repair the root certificates. ZoneAlarm would still not install.

4. Out of curiosity, I tried to reload the old version of 5.5.062.011 from the old installer file that I had saved (without first uninstalling 5.5.062.011). No luck.

5. I then tried to uninstall 5.5.062.011 using the uninstall ZoneAlarm button and strangely got the same two messages as above. Thus I couldn’t even uninstall the existing program like many people suggest as the best way to upgrade.

6. I tried to do a clean uninstall by adding "/clean" (with a space but no quotes) to the target line for Uniinstall ZoneAlarm in Properties page and got the same two messages.

7. Then I tried to uninstall using the Windows uninstall program in Add/Remove Progams. This also produced the same two messages as above.

8. Finally I tried to manually uninstall as described in a thread about vsinit.dll problems. I was able to clear all the files from the computer but I couldn't find a registry entry for the folder "VSData95" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContolSet\Services\VxD. However I removed any entry that contained any reference to “Zone Labs.”

9. I’ve done a scan with CWShredder, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware SE (all updated to the most current definitions) and found nothing wrong. Then I did an online antivirus scan at the Computer Associates eTrust Web Scan site plus a scan using my own AVG antivirus software and also found nothing amiss.

ZoneAlarm seems to be gone off the computer now and it has been rebooted several times successfully. However I am still unable to load either the 5.5.062.011 or 5.5.094.000 versions. The same error messages come up.

If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear them.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
make sure that that zone alarm is completely uninstalled.

run regedit and removed
hkey_local_machine\software\zonealarm

remove:
c:\program filees\zone alarm
c:\windows\internet logs
c:\windows\system32\vsutil.dll
Windows NT/2000: VSDATANT.SYS
Internet Monitor: VSMON.EXE
Basic Logging Client: MINILOG.EXE
Windows\System\Zone Labs OR WINNT\System32\Zone Labs

Starjax

docboardman

docboardman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Starjax:

Sorry I didn't reply right away. The company sent me away for a week and then it took some time to get back into it.

Okay, I've done all you said. Even checked for hidden files. However, I still can't get the installer to work.

Also, I tried downloading some earlier versions. zlsSetup_45_594_000.exe and zlsSetup_51_033_000.exe. Neither one of them would install either.

Any other thoughts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can get those files here to see if it lets you install

http://www.dll-files...ch.php?s=vsutil

http://www.dll-files....php?s=kernel32

dwntrdr

dwntrdr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently did an update (to windows 98 se) and found that my computer would hang. Figuring that it was an update problem, uninstalled updates until it booted up properly again...

When it booted up properly again, I noticed that Zonealarm loaded when previously it hadn't. Seeing your issue helped me make a connection...

Windows update KB891711 apparently modifies Kernel32.DLL causing problems to Zonealarm. This is just an observation I have made, I can not back it up with technical data/detail, just that my Win98 box booted after uninstalling the update.

Hope this helps you somehow or sparks a thought in someone that will give a resolution...

Dwntrdr...