Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build hardware problem.

• Please log in to reply

oldrookie

oldrookie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System information should automatically appear. I did not list ram: 2x2gb Corsair xms2 DDR2. New system worked fine for a day while I loaded all the usual. Then I loaded the latest ATI drivers. Yes I deleated older version first. Graphics card would drop out at any time. EVERYTHING else ran including fans. To make clear; Vista would load and start as I could hear the faint Vista chime as it loaded. Then The problem started occuring right after post. The card's 'over heat' LED was lighting up. I was suspicious of this symptom. So, I unplugged the machine and let it set overnight. The next morning the same light came on right after post on first boot! So clearly there is no REAL heat issue. Put In two other sets of drivers at different times using different card to run machine. No help. NOW I have an additional symptom. I get 'no vga' beeps at boot. The two problems filp a coin to see which will show up next. Now this next item may ormay not be an issue; Until last night I was running a Corsair 550 watt psu. I do not think this would be an issue but I installed the 850 to see if this was the problem. No difference but the damage may have been irreversable. If in fact I commited homicide. RMAed the card this morning.
Q: Did I kill the graphics? Q: Are default MOBO settings good enough or do I need to tweak this combo? please note that I am not interested in OC at this time. Q: Can I get advice on settings and/or is there a resourse where I can learn more about a high performance setup?

Advertisements

oldrookie

oldrookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
System info: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo. Intel Core 2 Quad. Ati Radeon Saphire HD 4870x1. Corsair xms2 2x2gb. psu 850 watt '80'. 1.5tb hdd. Spire case.