Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking Computer Non-STARTUP help- ASAP.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GEEKALOT

GEEKALOT

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

My computer make is DELL, though it is also Windows XP. And while having had previously attempted to turn it on to start up for it to go directly upon the login user-names as it may usually tend to, instead a BLUE screen came up reading, as i quote;

A problem has been detected and windows had been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

"If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware of software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced options, and then select safe mode."

Then say's "Technical Information:***STOP: ...with a view of number's..including a numerous amount of zero's.

|Though when it had having had suggested maybe re-starting and selecting safe mode, when having had done that, it didnt seem to at all work and would go right back to that Blue screen once having had been selected. I had also tried to select the "Last known good configuration", though it doesn't seem as though that has helped either.

DELL had been contacted to notify them of the issue, though they had charged me, to direct me over the phone on how to run a few computer tests & from what they had directed me to test it appeared as though there was a tick upon many things tested. Though the person had also said the system is corrupted and may need a reboot, but to be honest, the person was only really interested in getting a sell over the telephone.. other than actually helping. And i remember this particular thing happening last year & though they said the same thing, i remember not bothering with them & trying to fix the computer myself & had done something that had enabled it to start as usual. Though i cant quite remember what that was.

Also this seems to happen when i keep turning of the computer on the hard-drive, other than manually & properly... i don't mean to in order for this to happen. Its just it happens to be quite a habit & at times i may be doing something that i don't particularly want anybody to see as it is personal, so when anybody does happen to come in the room[as it is a family computer].. other than me quickly switching off the screen.. because they'll still know its on... i just press the hard-drive button until it goes off.

What does anybody suggest i do?
Anything at all that you may be able to direct me with?

Please if you can, could you direct me to do something that enables a repair, "WITHOUT" having to loose any data. I KNOW I CAN DO THIS.

Thank you, I would very much appreciate it = ]

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Duplicate.

Closed.