Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help w/ this please

• Please log in to reply

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I was on the computer, everything has been working fine, and then a blue screen came up saying something, then went right to this black screen that says:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I shut down and unpluged and repluged things in, so it's not something loose.
I also tried to start in safe mode, but it doesn't go into it.

Any help would be GREATLY appericated, this is a computer I use daily for work, and REALLY really need to get it back :)

TIA everyone!

*Not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I just went into my Advanced BIOS it reads
>Primary IDE Master [NOT DETECTED]
>Primary IDE Slave [NOT DECTCTED]
>Secondary IDE Master [DVDRW 16x16x]
>Secondary IDE Slave [DVDRW 16x16x]

Edited by Browneyedgirl79, 05 September 2009 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Browneyedgirl79.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

If your bios has auto detect Hard drives have you tried that?
Is the time and date correct in bios?
If this is all correct you may want to replace the ribbon on the Primary IDE channel to the Hard drives.
After doing all of the above and if problem still persists I believe the problem could be you primary IDE controller may have just died.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hello Browneyedgirl79.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

If your bios has auto detect Hard drives have you tried that?
Is the time and date correct in bios?
If this is all correct you may want to replace the ribbon on the Primary IDE channel to the Hard drives.
After doing all of the above and if problem still persists I believe the problem could be you primary IDE controller may have just died.

I dont know where to find the auto dected hard drives.
Yes the date and time is right

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Date and Time is right then I don't believe the problem is the BIOS.
Try replacing the IDE cable on the hard drives.
Rechecking it to make sure it is seated correctly on the MOBO.
Whenever both primary and secondary Hard drives are not detected the possible problem list is not long.
Either ribbon or controller is bad.

Browneyedgirl79

Browneyedgirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply. Ill get back to you to let you know how it goes. Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and also you may want to check the power connector on each of the hard drives.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You should also look in your bios for the "auto detect" of the drives.
You could have some corruption in the bios.
There should be a spot where it shows the drives with partitions and sectors, etc.

If you know the make and model of the computer (or the board) we can do a search for a manual.