Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hdd not recognized

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
okay, I dont have my new pc wit me so I cant test stuff. but my cousin told them that when trying to install xp, the hdd wont get recognized. now from what it says in the manual, blue goes to mobo, grey goes to master, and black goes to slave. well I think for all of them, I attached black to the master cd-rom and on another I installed a black to the master hdd. well the cd-rom drive works and gets recognized even though its set on master and its on the slave cable. but the hdd is on master and it doesnt get recognized. is this the problem why it wont get recognized or is something else wrong? could the mobo be faulty or the hdd?
o and on the mobo, there is an ide connector and two raid ones. I connected the cd-rom to the ide and the hdd to the raid one. the manual says it is defaulted as ide (the raid). i just sent the mobo in for repair cuz it wouldnt start up....i hope its not faulty. o and i have a 530j processor and an asus p5gdc delux mobo (the one without the video card). crucial pc3200 512ddr memory. a 500watt psu.

Edited by neilp4453, 13 May 2005 - 08:46 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The hard drive must be jumpered as master & it must be connected to the plug on the end of the IDE cable (black connector). Blue goes to motherboard, grey (middle) is for a slave.

Are you sure theres not 2 IDE channels & 2 raid on the mobo?

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i have a primary IDE connector, a pri_raid1 and sec_raid1 connectors. i have my cd-rom on the primary IDE connector and the hdd on the pri_raid1. but I have reason to believe (99%) accurate that the cables are connected wrong for the hdd and cd-rom yet the cd-rom gets detected. shouldnt both not be detected. but even though the hdd doesnt get recognized, it does appear on the boot order in the bios. but it doesnt show up in the main bios menu where they show everything that is connected. it doesnt make sense. i jus sent the mobo in to get fixed and got it bak. but my cousin says that the hdd is faulty or the mobo is faulty. could that be the problem or is it something simple.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
CDROM drives aren't as fussy as hard drives about being on the correct connector. It is also affected by the type of cable being used ie the 80 wire ide cables must be connected the right way round but the older style 40 wire cables used for optical drives & old ata33 hard drives can often be connected up with the master on the middle connector & it will still work.

How come you have the hard drive on a raid channel instead of the normal primary IDE channel? To use raid, you are supposed to have 2 hard drives connected.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well I tried puttin bot the dvdrom and hdd on the ide primary, but the cable wont reach both of them. but if the raid is only usable wit two hdds, then wut do I do if I have a dvdrom, hdd, and dvd-rw(which I plan to have). will the raid also take two optical drives.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you tell me exactly what motherboard you have (exact make & model)?
It will be written on the mobo itself if you don't have the box or manual handy.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
uh that was all in my first post, but ill say it again. my mobo is a asus p5gdc deluxe (it is the one witout the builtin video card). i am using a p4 530j processor by intel. i am using a 120gb (western digital) hdd and it has the special 8mb cache or something and it has a 7200rpm. i am usin the cables the mobo came wit so I think I dont have a compatibility problem. and could some1 tell me if my mobo could be messed..even though I jus sent it in?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that mobo only has the 1 standard IDE channel. this is meant to used for your optical drives.
you have a choice to make now. either buy a second IDE hard drive, and set those two up as a raid, or get a SATA drive and use that for your hard drive. this board is designed mostly for the newer way of computing- SATA drives.

another option is to only use 1 optical drive and the IDE drive, but they would share the same cable, which would result in very slow performance of the hd.
your best bet is to get SATA, it is faster, the new standard, and your board has lots of connectors for it- which means lots of room to expand in the future.