Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows programs not displaying correctly

• Please log in to reply

Illinifan

Illinifan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am at my MIL's and her computer is not correctly displaying any Windows programs (i.e. Explorer, MS Office products, including non-Windows programs like Firefox.)

The screens are white and are missing divider lines and some of the outlines around various boxes and buttons.

I've updated the display drivers for the NVIDIA GeFore 6150 LE.

The computer is a HP Pavilion a1660n with a HP vs17e monitor. It's a Media Center PC but I made sure that it's completely upgraded XP-wise.

I'm baffled. Please help.

I've included a screen shot.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Same problem in Safe Mode?

Illinifan

Illinifan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes.

Also she is now running IE 8, but had the same issue under IE 7.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks to me like on-board video chip is malfunctioning. She may need to buy real video card.

Illinifan

Illinifan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The video portion seems to be working ok. I ran a Media Center video earlier and it was beautiful.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Illinifan...

It looks to me like the pages aren't displaying the style layers. In the IE browser , click "Page" on the toolbar (right side, top), mouse over "Style", and make sure "Default Style" is selected.

In Firefox, click "View" on the toolbar, mouse over "Page Style", and make sure "Basic Page Style" is selected.

wannabe1

Illinifan

Illinifan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm away from the problem computer right now, but this is not just a browser problem. It's the same way in all the MS office products as well. I'll give your suggestion a shot when I get back to the MIL's house.