Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my stuff completely gone, or can I get the data back?

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Right. I have a 120GB HDD in my laptop (well, 112 or whatever).

I had Windows 7 installed on a 15GB partition ©, then I had a 95GB media partition (D) and a 1.6GB back up partition (E)

Anyway, I got fed up of Windows 7 and wanted to return to XP. I created a custom image using nLite (as I don't want most of the rubbish that comes with the original), but I don't think this was the problem.

Anyway, I was formatting the harddrive for XP, and the first time it went fine (15GB XP partition, 95GB media partition, 1.6GB back up partition). Great!

However, I'd messed up creating the custom image, so I created another one, and reinstalled it. However, this time I deleted the C partition, leaving the D and E partitions, and then created a new partition, but it left some space in between (8mb), so I deleted it, then deleted E (after moving everything on E to D) and created it again. This time, it left 8mb in between again, but when I went to create the E partition again (like 1.6GB), it created *another* 95GB partition, and another 8mb partition, which is impossible, because the harddrive is only 120GB. So, I exited the installation, and booted up my trusty Ubuntu Live CD to use GParted. However, as it was booting up it gave me an error, so I googled the error and it seemed to relate to harddrive problems. Anyway, I just installed XP then as it's a pain to Google on my phone.

Now, I have the following partitions

Local Disk (C:) (0B ????) (XP says not formatted)
Local Disk (D:) (12.3GB) (XP system partition)
Local Disk (E:) (0B again) (XP says not formatted)
Local Disk (F:) (95GB) (empty :) :) :) :) :) :))

Anyone got any ideas at all? I know it says empty, but maybe it's still there? I really, really don't want to lose all of my stuff :)

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 05 September 2009 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Wow! :)

Sorry to say that perhaps you're going to be out of luck. By Windows overwriting during the install, it's going to be mighty tough getting your files back. Your best bet is to try recovery software with the drive in question slaved on another computer. I've had good luck with PC Inspector, or you could try Recuva (never tried it, but I've heard of it.)