Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need new computer

• Please log in to reply

Leyna1964

Leyna1964

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My husband and I are both gamers, and we are both thinking of buying new computers, since ours are over 5 years old.

I'm looking for a computer that will play Sims3....I need one with a printer/scanner/copier and a webcam.

I know all the specs needed for Sims3, but it's all so confusing for me to go through each model of computer out there, comparing the specs......:)

Offhand, does anyone know of an affordable (under $1,000) computer that will play Sims3 good, and that comes with the hardware I want, or that I can put on there for the price range I have? I really don't want an HP because I've had so many problems with their hardware in the past.

I just want to click to the site and hit "buy", you know? lol I'm not real computer literate when it comes to the technical stuff.

I've never owned a Mac, btw...so I don't know if they are better as far as gaming.

Here's the specs for Sims3

Windows XP users (all versions of XP)
• Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
• 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
• 1 GB RAM
• At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
• 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Windows Vista users (all versions of Vista)
• Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
• 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
• 1.5 GB RAM
• At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
• 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

Some of you may have paused at the above spec “128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0” and thought, “What the... is a Pixel Shader 2.0?” Don’t worry, I’ve been an avid PC Gamer since the 90s and know a lot about computers but I am a little embarrassed to admit I was glossy-eyed while reading that spec, lol. Below are a list of video cards that are compatible with The Sims 3.

For nVidia video card owners: FX 5900, FX 5950, 2400, 2600, 2900, 3450, 3650, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870 and all GeForce 6 series and above are compatible with The Sims 3

For ATI video card owners: 2400, 2600, 2900, 3450, 3650, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870, Any 9500 and above card and any X300 and above cards are compatible with The Sims 3.

Intel, nVidia and ATI integrated/built-in video cards: Intel Extreme GMA X3x00/X300, ATI Xpress and higher, nVidia TurboCache and higher
Please Note! If you are using an integrated/built-in video card your MINIMUM System Requirements must be higher:
• 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
• 1.5 GB RAM in Windows XP, 2 GB RAM in Windows Vista

Mac Minimum System Requirements
• Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher
• Intel Core Duo processor or equivalent
• 1 GB RAM
• 7.1GB of hard drive space
• ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of video RAM or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

Supported nVidia Video Cards for the Mac: 7300, 7600, 8600, 8800, 9400M, 9600M GT, GT 120, GT 130

Supported ATI Video Cards for the Mac: X1600, X1900, 2400, 2600, 3870, 4850, 4870

Supported Intel Video Cards for the Mac: GMA X3Χ00 series, GMA 3-Series

Mac Owners Please Note! If you own a G3, G4 or G5 PowerPC AND/OR an integrated INtel GMA 950 series video card, The Sims 3 will NOT work with your system. You need to purchase a new Mac if you want to play The Sims 3.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi and welcome,

That purple writing sure is difficult on the eyes! Nonetheless, those video cards listed to support the game are very old - you'd be hard pressed to even find one of them for sale these days.

I have a feeling your best bet would be to walk in to a local computer store and tell them what you want and the budget for such a system, and they'll gladly build a system for you.

Otherwise if you want to have some fun, you are welcome to follow our guide and you can build your own - it's actually not too difficult and a lot of fun, especially when it powers up! :)

Be sure to let us know which way you take it.

Troy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is a great guide for even the most novice of computer builders to follow.
It was created by one of the techs here but his name escapes me.
I do remember he has a strange avatar and talks with a weird accent. :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Actually it was created by a Team of Techs, I just did all the official writing. :)

Artellos helped me (and it's his computer in the photos).

I like to give credit where it's due, that's why at the bottom it's from the Tech Academy and not signed by me. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok that covers everything but the funny avatar and strange accent.
But seriously it is a great guide.
I have sent several people to it and they have all said it was the easiest they have ever seen to building their own system
Congrats to all involved.

Shahwer Pasha

Shahwer Pasha

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So did you buy it ? Which one did you buy ?

Edited by Shahwer Pasha, 30 May 2010 - 12:10 PM.

millermil

millermil

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
great gudie .

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
:) i actually like the purple writing, just thought i'd throw that out there.