Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An application keeps hanging upon restart/shutdown

• Please log in to reply

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hello,

This happens on a friend's computer I'm working on. I did some virus cleaning - MBAM, SuperAntySpyware, Spybot. It has a paid version of Kaspersky AV installed also. found a lot of malware.

Whenever the computer is restarted, one program refuses to close, and needs to be force-closed. The process description reads just "WMS Idle". I tried googling, but there are so many different programs with this abbreviation (WMS). Tried looking through the processes in Process Explorer & Task Manager - got no clues.

So, I'm turning to you people....

An additional problem on the same machine, if I may - my friend says that some time ago the sound on his machine suddenly became corrupted. He tried listening to it on speakers and through headphones and experienced the same changes to quality, like it was muffled or distorted in some way. Weird.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks,
SOADA.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I think, your best bet is to post in malware section.
Some scans have to be run to establish more info about that particular program/process/service.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

You're right WMS Idle has a lot of Google hits. A lot of them point to Nero. Have you tried disabling all Start Ups in msconfig yet? Does this also happen in Safe mode?

Broni's advice is sound... just noted he posted while I was posting.

S.O.A.D.A.

S.O.A.D.A.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Hi,

Good advice, I'll try it out, and if it teaches me nothing I'll go to the malware removal forum.
BTW - I think "Idle" is just the process state : )

Thanks,
SOADA.

Edited by S.O.A.D.A., 05 September 2009 - 10:36 PM.