Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wont start in ANY mode

• Please log in to reply

BluesManAL

BluesManAL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows wont start due to a "fatal system error" (0x0000000) Seems to be a Login issue at first... Ran a diagnostic test on the HDD passed everything with flying colors... Made a boot CD, tryed to enter Recovery Console... "there are no present hard drives currently installed on ur computer" or something of that nature... Quite confusing... As i'm sure it's been said a million times, i have valuable info on it i dont want to lose... Any suggestions? other than take the HDD out and put it in another PC as a slave... something more... NOW lol... please any imput would be greately appreciated

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi BluesManA and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sorry to hear about the problem, but lets see if we can get it sorted out.

Your hard drive is not being seen by the system.
Do you see your drive listed when the computer boots up?
If you enter bios, is the hard drive seen? To get to bios its usually del, esc, F2 (should show on the screen at boot up)
What kind of computer is it? Laptop or desktop?
Make and model please?

BluesManAL

BluesManAL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Its a Dell xps 400 Desktop, in Bios/Boot Sequence "Onboard SATA HArd Drive" is present but IDE shows as not present... If I boot in Directory Services Restore Mode: It Tells me I have Service Pack 3 installed and that it checked C: and the "Volume is Clean"
Windows XP loading screen comes up, screen goes Black then Blue "STOP:c000021a {Fatal System Error} The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x0000000 0x0000000). The system is Shut Down...
Theres a XP test Tool i forgot how i got to it, But it runs Tests on everything according to the problem, It ran all tests avaliable on HDD and Boot problems, It Passed ALL, hence my confusion... Seems the HDD is recognised in 1 place but not the other...
Thank You For Your Time, and Patience

BluesManAL

BluesManAL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So i tryed starting it in every mode again to try and gather as much information as possible, finally I got to the "Start Windows Normally" and to my Surprise it worked... So I decided to Copy all the info i needed to DVD's... New Problem... Wont let me open any Data writing Software, Wont let me Install New software... Any Suggestions?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Try the Burnaware Free to copy the data.
Then I suggest heading to our malware forum (link in signature). Usually when you cant run or install any programs its an indication of malware.

Also if you can get the service tag on the computer (usually on the back or side), I can dig deeper in to some things.