Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound not working in Vista

• Please log in to reply

lunacat

lunacat

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I used to have Windows XP on my PC and my sound worked fine. Then I installed Vista and I tried to Overclock it, but it kept making my PC restart (I failed, haha) so then I just reset everything in my BIOS to the original default so my computer can run Vista normally.

When I tried to use my speakers now, even my headphones, they don't work. I checked the Sound in the Control Panel and it says my Digital Output Device is working, however, where it says Speakers and Headphones, they both show Not Plugged In. I then checked my Device Manager and there are no Exclamation marks by my Sound. I also tried to check if there was an update for the driver, but it's up to date. What can I do to remedy this? Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello lunacat.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

What is the motherboard you have?
Is this a name brand system and if so what make and model?

lunacat

lunacat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi! It's an ASUS Maximus II Formula Motherboard

My soundcard is onboard. I checked the BIOS, and here's how it's configured:

Onboard Devices Configuration
>High Definition Audio
>>Front Panel Type
>>>AC 97
>>>HD Audio

HD Audio is the one selected. I tried to select AC 97 and saved it, then when the computer started up I tried the sound again, and still no sound =\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and let me know if this is your MOBO.
On the last picture it shows a Creative labs soundcard.
Do you have this on your system or is your sound strictly coming from the front panel?

lunacat

lunacat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, my sound card looks like the last picture, however, I don't see anywhere on my devices where it mentions Creative labs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you actually have the Creative labs sound card?

lunacat

lunacat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess it would be the SupremeFX X-Fi audio card, but it says powered by Creative. So I'm not sure what that means =\

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Double check and make sure the speakers and\or headphones are plugged in to the correct connection on the soundcard.
Do you have front speaker\headphone connections on your system?
Have you tried it?
Have you tried a different set of speakers to make sure it's not the speakers?
Is the system under warranty?
If not check the soundcard and make sure it is seated correctly.
How old is the mobo?

lunacat

lunacat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Double check and make sure the speakers and\or headphones are plugged in to the correct connection on the soundcard. Yes
Do you have front speaker\headphone connections on your system? Yes, those don't work either =\
Have you tried it? Yes
Have you tried a different set of speakers to make sure it's not the speakers? Yes, I tried headphones and 2 sets of speakers (1 is brand new)
Is the system under warranty? Do you mean the parts? The system was built for me so I'm not sure what the warranty on the parts were.
If not check the soundcard and make sure it is seated correctly. If it's onboard, I can still try this?
How old is the mobo? It's about 1 1/2 years old.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you should be able to open the system then and check to make sure the sound card is seated correctly. By the pictures I see the soundcard is actually a add on card.
Are you saying it is onboard?
Now since the card is seen in device manager I assume I would say we are dealing with a driver issue or maybe even a faulty card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One thing I overlooked.
Do you have the original 4in1 drivers disk that came with your MOBO?
On that disk should be drivers for your Sound card.