Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway 506GR Won't Power Up

• Please log in to reply

No Spam

No Spam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Gateway 506GR stopped powering up. Recently it was surging when I would push the power button. Kind of like a car that would not start.

I cleaned out all the dust and tried again. It still was surging with the fans speeding up and slowing down. It was like the voltages were coming up and down without getting up high enough to boot the computer.

I replaced the power supply and now all I get is the green light on the mother board next to the memory cards. When I push the power button I don't get anything.

I pulled the leads off of the MB and tested the power button with my meter. The button is good. I also have just under three volts at the pins.

By the way, can you give me a diagram of the front panel pins? I have not found one. The power button, power LED, and HD LED are all wired with two pin connectors that are not keyed. You can put the three of them on the pins any which way. I don't think that I have them wrong, but would like to be sure.

Printed on the MB is this,
HD LED +1 -3
PWR LED +2 -4
RESET 5- 7+ (Why the changed order? & there's no reset button on this computer.)
PWR ON +6 -8

There are nine pins with a little triangle pointing at one and a 2 next to another.
The pins on the MB look like this:

^

Thanks for anything that you can tell me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi No Spam and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I am searching for a manual and diaghram and having no luck.
I can tell you that the ^ (triangle) indicates pin 1
Pin 2 is labeled, so pin 3 is next to pin 1 (odd on the bottom and even on the top)

Hooking the HDD light, power light, and reset is not needed for the computer to run.
The power on is a momentary contact to the board. This allows the PSU to turn on if the correct conditions are met.

If you are sure the power supply you have is good and hooked up correctly then something else is pulling it down so it won't start... Very possibly the motherboard..... you could try unplugging all power except those going to the motherboard... also unplug all drives from the board.... then try turning it on... if you get nothing I'd say your motherboard is bad or you got another bad power supply....

if it does turn on add one component at a time to see if you can issolate the cause of the no power...

Found some info on the 506GR. Unfortunately Gateway is keeping the service manual a big secret.
506GR support

No Spam

No Spam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If it is the motherboard, what is my next step? Should I look for a replacement MB or try and install my hard drive into a new (cheap) computer? I don't have a lot of money to throw around. :)

Oh, and thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Edited by No Spam, 06 September 2009 - 08:54 AM.

No Spam

No Spam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I removed power connections from all but the MB and still get nothing. I took off the modem, reseated the memory and removed and reinserted the power connections on the MB. Still nothing. The power supply is new.

The Gateway 506GR has met my needs for a number of years but I am thinking that it is probably kind of obsolete now. My budget is tight but I need to get back into this hard drive because I use it for my bill paying and banking.

Can you advise me if I would be better off trying to get a new mother board or maybe pull the hard drive to make it into an external drive with an adapter kit? If I go with the external drive kit, I would still have my laptop to use with it. That is, if it would work that way.

Thank you!