Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost d drive- help me please!

• Please log in to reply

glh2163

glh2163

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, so I downloaded kazaa the other day on my e-machine t-2040 and ever since my d: drive (cd rom) is gone! The drive won't even open when I press the button (except before windows boots). This is everything I've tried so far: running all my anti-spyware software, rebooting and rebooting and rebooting, and restoring from a few weeks ago. The drive doesn't even show up on my device manager. what should I do? :tazz:

Edited by glh2163, 13 May 2005 - 11:12 PM.

Advertisements

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
;) mmm, that's an odd one.

Never heard of software causing drives to disappear, I think it's unlikely to be a software glitch given you've rolled back your system to a time when I assume your drive was being recognised.

If it's not even appearing in Device Manager then as far as your computer is concerned it simply isn't there anymore.

Therefore I fancy we're looking at a hardware problem.

Easiest fix - take your cover off and make sure everything is as it should be - e.g. power connector to the drive (must be okay if the eject button works), data ribbon connectors - in the back of the drive and on the motherboard - give up a push to ensure nothings come loose.

Failing that - perhaps somethings gone on the drive (or worse, the board).

:tazz: I tend to look on the optimistic side with these things, work from the simplest solution and go progressively toward worse case scenario.

Try the drive in another computer - that'll tell you if the problem is with the unit or your computer.

Kazaa - arrgh! Stay away from peer to peer software hazards is my advice. Nothing like having an open invitation into your system - I've heard lots of scare stories about Kazaa, dunno if it's urban myth or factual, but I don't go near such stuff.

DaveB - LinuxWannabee ;)

glh2163

glh2163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks! I'll try to do those things. yeah, I'm kicking myself for downloading kazaa... I've learned my lesson!