Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway Desktop problem

• Please log in to reply

minicoman

minicoman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey everyone i got an epic problem here with my gateway desktop in which i require much assistance with. Every time i turn my computers power on it beeps 3 times and does not detect my usb mouse, monitor and cord keyboard. it started to happen to me a few days ago and when it happened to me my computer was working just fine until my graphics card go outta place so i had to put it back on. once i put the graphics card back on thats when the beeping all started i even tried to connect it to the regular computer screen port since i use the NVIDIA 5200 GeForce(DVI-I) port and still nothing it keeps beeping. i got worried so i disconnected everything my RAM hardrive and CD driver. and now im here looking for a way to get it to work. If any one out there has a solution to my problem please do so in helping me.

Thanks
-Minicoman

Edited by minicoman, 06 September 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Your motherboard has around 640 K of base memory built into the motherboard. This memory is used for hardware detection so the motherboard can boot.When the video card came loose you probably messed up the base memory because it could not find the matching hardware. Now,i do wonder how a graphics card can come loose with the usual connections used in computers. Anyway, the only suggestion i can think of is to try resetting the cmos on the motherboard. There may be a jumper you can switch to different pins on the motherboard, then switch back. If not then pull the 2032 battery on the motherboard out for 10-15 seconds then reinsert the battery and setup the computer so you can try booting it again. The 2032 battery is a coin shaped object you cant miss.

http://www.mysuperpc...irst_boot.shtml

Beyond doing the above, my experience is to replace the motherboard next. Perhaps someone else here has a better method.

SRX660

minicoman

minicoman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Your motherboard has around 640 K of base memory built into the motherboard. This memory is used for hardware detection so the motherboard can boot.When the video card came loose you probably messed up the base memory because it could not find the matching hardware. Now,i do wonder how a graphics card can come loose with the usual connections used in computers. Anyway, the only suggestion i can think of is to try resetting the cmos on the motherboard. There may be a jumper you can switch to different pins on the motherboard, then switch back. If not then pull the 2032 battery on the motherboard out for 10-15 seconds then reinsert the battery and setup the computer so you can try booting it again. The 2032 battery is a coin shaped object you cant miss.

http://www.mysuperpc...irst_boot.shtml

Beyond doing the above, my experience is to replace the motherboard next. Perhaps someone else here has a better method.

SRX660

i did those steps but it still can't detect my mouse keyboard or screen and it still beeps can it be that i have bad RAM :/

Edited by minicoman, 06 September 2009 - 08:22 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Base memory really has nothing to do with the regular memory you install in the motherboard. The base memory is added in when the motherboard is being built. While it would be a good thing to check the regular memory by switching to some known good memory, but i would not go out and buy new memory to do this. I really don't think the memory is the problem. If leaving out the battery on the motherboard for a hour or so does not fix the problem, replace the motherboard. If this is a computer that is over 2 years old there is no value in spending much money trying to fix it. The 5200 video card is over 3 years old now. I usually don't even fix computers that old since the cost is more than buying a new tower.

SRX660

minicoman

minicoman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Base memory really has nothing to do with the regular memory you install in the motherboard. The base memory is added in when the motherboard is being built. While it would be a good thing to check the regular memory by switching to some known good memory, but i would not go out and buy new memory to do this. I really don't think the memory is the problem. If leaving out the battery on the motherboard for a hour or so does not fix the problem, replace the motherboard. If this is a computer that is over 2 years old there is no value in spending much money trying to fix it. The 5200 video card is over 3 years old now. I usually don't even fix computers that old since the cost is more than buying a new tower.

SRX660

well thanks for the advice ill try taking out the battery for an hour and the beeping has stop it actually was the RAM i think one of the pieces "flex" thats why but my screen, mouse, and keyboard still remain undetected and i had looked in my system for clues of the CMOS method but there was a little menu and it said like this

J9G2 /PINS
-----------
normal/1-2
-----------
config/2-3
-----------
RECVRY/No jumper

i thought i had jumpers but i did'nt -_- ill try taking out the battery for an hour and report back here to post

-minicoman

Edited by minicoman, 07 September 2009 - 03:53 PM.

minicoman

minicoman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ah just forget it taking out the battery for one hour straight then putting it back didn't work its definitely my mother board that is probably fried lol but yeah ill just get a new pc or laptop thanks for all the help :] ill come to this site more often if anything else occurs millions of thanks and with that said farewell

-minicoman

Edited by minicoman, 08 September 2009 - 09:01 PM.