Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have such a disaster I can't even think of a title!

• Please log in to reply

kblue

kblue

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
It all started when Explorer opened verrrrry slowly. I can navigate on the web quickly once I am on, but something was bogging Explorer down. Then I couldn't right click a link to open it in a new tab. Tabs take forever to open..
Now I can't click links..or, I can click them but they don't open.
I ran a program to fix the registry and what a stupid move that was. My restore points were erased and now when I open the Yahoo home page, it is seriously messed up. See screen cap.

I have run my up to date antivirus and spyware program. I have no idea what is going on. RAM messages appear but the percentage in processes is low.
Please suggest something.

Attached Thumbnails

• screencapyahoo.JPG

Advertisements

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok..even check this out. I can't even enlarge the thumbnail I posted. If I click on the image, Explorer hangs..computer freezes..and then nothing happens. The image doesn't expand.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi kblue and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having. lets see if we can try isolating the problem.

What registry program did you use?
Did you back up the registry? Most (but not all) programs will do that for you.

NOTE: We do not recommend any registry cleaning programs due to the issues you have just experienced.

Download and install Mozilla Firefox (link in signature). Lets see if this is a browser issue or a computer issue or both.
Firefox is another browser that is far more secure than IE.

What is the exact ram message that you are getting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to boot into safe mode and see if the issue happens there?

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
I am in the process of downloading Firefox. I wasn't sure what you meant by link in signature but even if I did, I can't open a lot of links. I can only copy and paste to a new window or tab.
The RAM message I get is that there is not enough memory to launch (various programs). This happens if I don't have any windows open. Just the desktop and typical processes running such as AVG, Adaware, etc. which have not given me a problem in the past.

When I have the task manager open I note that most of the time the usage shows a low percentage and when I try to open a program that gives the Ram message about not enough memory to launch, the percentage doesn't go very high.

The bad news is that one of the so-called reg. cleaners I used seems to have deleted the backup registry I created. It also wiped my prior restore points. When I ran the program it did tell me that it was creating a point to which I could roll back any changes it made. It wasn't clear that it would be destroying my restore points or I'd have never done it. I did roll back what it did and uninstalled the program in case it was responsible for anything. The only change I noticed after running the program was the view of Yahoo.ca. Incidentally, all other web pages look fine, including Yahoo.com.
The program I used is one that came highly recommended from download.com so I trusted it. Won't do that again before talking to a tech obviously.
I have not tried to run anything in safe mode yet.
Firefox set up is asking me to close other windows. I will come back and give you the results in a few moments.
Thanks for your help.
(BTW, I have screen caps of my task manager if that is of any use to you.)

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again,

I don't have any trouble with Firefox. I can open tabs, links, etc. and the yahoo.ca page looks fine now. The only problem I have is when I view news clips (video)there is barely any sound. (And yes I do know how to turn up speakers, sound level on the videos and such.) Not trying to be catty. Just don't want to waste your time here. Some videos are ok but most have low sound quality. Don't know if that's a problem with my system or not. I don't usually experience sound trouble.

So I'm curious about why Firefox isn't giving me grief but Explorer is...never had problems with Explorer before...

What other good ideas do you have? (((-: (I realize I probably need a new computer with much higher RAM..and I'd sure appreciate some suggestions down the line if I can ask that kind of thing here..)

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have disabled some add-ons in Explorer 8 and no longer have the problem with opening tabs or links...but I still see Yahoo.ca all messed up. Still working on a solution for this...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
how much ram do you have installed...
how big is your swap file...
click on ctrl+alt+delete keys...then performance tab...get a screenshot and post it for us...

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sure.
The screencap was taken with Explorer and various tabs open and running. Normal use. I am not sure if the % means anything to you. I tried to open some of the programs that tell me there is not enough RAM to launch and watched what happened to the % and it didn't even go up past 17%. However, when I do a screencap with a program such as photoimpression (which still does open), I noted that the usage spikes to 100%. Ok this may mean nothing so I'll stop talking about it.

I only have 766MB of RAM. Had a measly 512 (2-256 cards)before and replaced one with a 512 to see if it helped as the computer was running slower, but not locking up on Explorer or giving me RAM messages. It was fine until this past weekend when all the nonsense started. I can get another 512 to replace the remaining 256 but then I am maxxed. We're saving up for a newer computer for sure!

I wonder if the hinky display on yahoo.ca has something to do with IE8. I found a thread in microsofttechnet where a poster was saying that all of a sudden IE8 was giving blank pages when all was good in Firefox.
Anyway, tell me what you think.

Attached Thumbnails

• screencap1.JPG

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am sorry. I never answered one of the questions. I was asked which registry program I used. I used Advanced SystemCare 3. It was after that, that my yahoo home page went sideways. But maybe that was coincidental. No idea.

**Want to add that while I had Explorer open, I accidentally opened Firefox too. There was no problem with ram or ease of use with both browsers open. Maybe the programs I am trying to open, giving me the ram messages, are the problem?
This still doesn't answer the question of the messed up yahoo.ca page though...

Edited by kblue, 07 September 2009 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Most likely, IE is giving you problems, because it's part of Windows, while Firefox is not.
When you un-wisely used registry program, you probably messed up some system settings, maybe some system files too.

I'd suggest couple of things.
1. Uninstall IE8. It'll revert to IE7. See, how the problems are there.
Then, eventually download fresh copy of IE8, and install it.

2. Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

3. Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.
Attach couple of logs. Try to get one, when CPU usage is spiking.

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks. I'll do as you suggest and repost. I'll know better next time than to use the registry program. I just hate bugging people on forums like this if it's a simple fix because most of the time there are folks with much nastier issues that need help. However, I won't make the same mistake twice. Shame on me for sure. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hey, don't worry about anything. This is what we're here for :)

kblue

kblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, now, this is weird. I unistalled IE8, system restarted..IE reverted to 7. Everything was good. Yahoo.ca was fine. I ran sfc /scannow and all was peachy. I went to http://www.microsoft...ites.aspx..they have the latest beta version there for IE8. But, they needed to know whether I had XP or XP 64 bit..which I didn't know. So I figured I'll just run windows update and get IE8 there and probably will end up with the latest one anyway.

Well. Wrong. After IE8 reinstalled via windows update, yahoo.ca was messed up again.

So, I am going to run sfc again and see what it tells me.

But, I am not sure what to do next. Should I get rid of IE8 again and download directly from the beta site and if so, how do I know if I am XP or XP with 32 bit encryption. I did a search online to see how I find this out but to no avail. I do know how to find my version however it tells me nothing about the encryption level. I don't want to download the wrong version.

(Thanks Broni for the words of encouragement. I wish I had the same 'nice people' on a certain spyware software forum (which I won't name). Go on there for help and you get ridiculed and cursed at for making mistakes. You guys aren't like that at all. (((-: )

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for kind words :)
Firstly, number of people are having problems with IE8, so it's not there is something totally wrong with your computer.
To find your XP version, hold Window logo key, and press Pause/Break. If it says just XP, you have 32-bit. If you have 64-bit (less likely), it'll say so.
Now, uninstall IE8 again. Download standalone IE8, not through Windows updates, and try to install it again.
If same problem, go back to IE7 and stay there like many people do.
Or better yet, keep IE7 and use Firefox. Trust me, it's much better browser.