Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen resolution reset

• Please log in to reply

blackout1148

blackout1148

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi, recently when i start up my pc my screen resolution sometimes changes to 800-600
and also the boot up is very slow as when the windows sign appears the sound it always cracking, and then for about 10 minutes when the pc has actually started everything runs slow. my hardrive has about 40gb free space i have run disk defrag ,disk cleanup, free the temporery folders, and empty prefetch someone please help

thank you

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

blackout1148

blackout1148

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi when i click on sfc it flashes and goes off?

blackout1148

blackout1148

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
oh and i don't think i got a windows cd with my pc

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In Vista, there is nothing to click on...

hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista

...or if you're talking about sfc.exe, right click on it, click "Run as Administrator".

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
With Vista, most likely, you won't need Vista DVD.

blackout1148

blackout1148

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi sorry again i don't mean to be a pain i press those and nothing is happening i tried running sfc.exe in administrator

blackout1148

blackout1148

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi sorry again i don't mean to be a pain i press those and nothing is happening i tried running sfc.exe in administrator

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

blackout1148

blackout1148

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
oh right ok thanks i've just recently removed a trojan.agent from my pc bloody trojans are so annoying anyway thanks for relping and taking time to help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)