Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Laptop screen is Black but Backlighting is on

• Please log in to reply

dogmatixd

dogmatixd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently I as overseas and using my Dell Latitude D630. It worked fine for a week or so on 220V but then one time when i turned the computer on, nothing appeared on the screen. So now, when I turn it on, the backlighting goes on faintly but the screen is totally dark. I hear the windows chime after a bit and then can type in my password which makes the hard drive LCD light flicker for a while. So, I assume that means I'm able to login, but I can't see anything. The computer is running Vista 32bit.

I have LogMeIn installed on this computer and was not able to access it from another computer.

Please help with ideas on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Dave.

Edited by dogmatixd, 07 September 2009 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It sounds like the inverter is bad. They cost from $50 to about $150 and take about 1 manhour to replace. Call your local repair shops for estimates. Or, you can do it yourself if careful - enter replace LCD inverter in Google for more information.

dogmatixd

dogmatixd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Since then, I turned the computer on and hit the Fn key as it was starting ad then saw the screen turn a series of test colors, but then it seemed to get stuck in this musical pattern of beeps. So, I manually shut it down and restarted again - then I was able to access it thru LogMeIn and see the screen. When I got in, I saw there was an update that needed to complete install, so I let it do that and the screen worked when I restarted! But, 5 minutes later, the computer crashed, the screen got this green mesh pattern overlayed on top of what had been displayed and then 10 seconds later the coputer shut of by itself.

I tried starting the computer again in Safe Mode and after a few seconds of scrolling through files, the screen froze again and had vertical pink stripes over the list of files. A few seconds later, the screen went blank again (still backlit) with no further activity.

Then I shut down manually again and restarted again and Windows started up fine.

What should I do if this happen again?

Dave.

dogmatixd

dogmatixd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have had continuing problems now, where the computer screen will get all wierd with a green mesh overlay or pink stripes or other stuff and crash and then the computer will shut itself off! I never had problems with this computer at all till a couple weeks ago.

Please help!
Dave.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did you try an external monitor?