Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable device, insert boot disk and press any key

• Please log in to reply

F4HSS

F4HSS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been having issues with my office computer (Sony Viao w- XP professional) so I ran a system check on the C drive and while checking, it said it was repairing configurations. It was running the system check when I left for the day and when I came back in this morning, my computer wa soff and now it won't boot.

It says "No bootable device" "Insert boot disc and press any key".

I have no boot disc and no matter what I try, I can't get the computer to boot. This is my business computer and it has critical info on it. I have back up, but really would like to be able to get this fixed. Can anyone help?

Edited by F4HSS, 07 September 2009 - 01:11 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Is this a company owned computer? I guess what I'm asking is if you company hs an IT department. If it does, perhaps the best thing to do is to call them.

F4HSS

F4HSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No IT department... we are a small business and I am the owner

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

It says "No bootable device" "Insert boot disc and press any key".

This sometimes shows up if the floppy drive is set as the first boot device in Bios, and the disk in the floppy drive is not bootable. What model number is this Sony?

Have you attempted to boot to Safe Mode? To enter the Safe Mode menu, continually tap the F8 key just after powering on the computer.

If you're abe to boot to Safe Mode, try choosing the option "Last known good configuration" as the boot option.

If this doesn't work, try Safe Mode (with or without Networking)

We need to know if you can even boot before continuing. If you can't boot then you may need to do a Windows repair. Do you have the XP Disc?

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
You should be able to use any copy of Windows XP Pro, as long as it's the same version on your PC. Boot from the CD and select the repair windows installation option. At any time when it asks for the product key, you'll need to enter the product key that is located on your PC. On the other hand this could wipe out some data, if not all data. So before trying this have the drive backed up first.

F4HSS

F4HSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks... I've tried everything and nothing works... just took it in to the only data Dr. open today and they are pretty sure my hard drive crased and it is f.u.b.a.r. I will know in a couple hours.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok.

Whatever you do, if for some reason the drive isn't dead, don't let them format the drive if you have important data on it that's not backed up yet.

Good luck!

F4HSS

F4HSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will Do! I have my fingers crossed as my whole business history for the last 5-years is on there. I have some things backed up but not everything.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, hopefully you'll be able to recover the data if the disk is actually crashed. Keep it anyways as there are a few "tricks" you might be able to try... like freezing it! We'll get into that if need be.

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
A rule of thumb for business owners, cause I'm one too. Always create a backup of all your data every week.

Advertisements

Dennis Calden

Dennis Calden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
is this solved yet? if not I can tell you why it is doing that. it's just a bad default setup in bios the hard drive is mostly on IDE on notebooks but somehow it resets to the sata and the hard drive is in a wrong slot so it won't boot. if you change it back to IDE in bios,you should be able to boot in windows without problem :)

Augustine Sanchez

Augustine Sanchez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an acer aspire one NetBook and I just got it in april and today it gave me this message when I turn it on

Check cable connection pxe- m0f exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key

What can I do to fix

MarkDilley

MarkDilley

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My brother in-law just handed me his Acer Aspire One D255 net book with the same exact problem. I am a mac guy so any help would be appreciated. Best, Mark

DeeBell

DeeBell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have you fixed this yet?
I have the same Notebook and i only just got at christmas time and the same problem is happening for me..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For everyone:
Enter the bios and make sure the hard drive is identified correctly. If not then it may be a case of a failed hard drive.
If the drive is identified correctly then follow the instructions below to make sure your boot sequence is set correctly.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.