Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to connect or retrieve email

• Please log in to reply

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi
I recently had some Malware removed from my PC, but it still isn't working properly. I am unable to connect to the internet or retrieve email. Messages I get are along the lines of 'unable to connect to server'. in addition to this, I still have no system restore or copy&paste from c: drive. I guess these issues will be for another forum though?

In the course of removing the malware, my PC got it's internet connection back (and email), but it has now disappeared again. There hasn't been anything listed under my network connections all along.

My pc is a dell desktop running XP.

I've been told to refer to my topic on the Malware forum so you know the malware has been removed.

Thanks
Steve

Oh. Just to add that I use a wireless router that has been working fine with my laptop all along.

Edited by Stevedeckchair, 08 September 2009 - 12:15 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Sorry we missed you! Do you still require help with your problem?

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Still need help cheers.
Steve

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Steve,

Can you tell me the full model number of your Dell? Do you have the Dell Recovery disk, and if so, have you tried to run a Windows repair using that disk?

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello Makai
My PC is a Dimension 5150 and I have upgraded the memory to 2Gb and put in a additional 40Gb hard drive.

I wasn't given an operating system disk with the PC, but my partner has a vista disk that came with the laptop i'm posting on. I'd rather stick with XP though if possible and would like to try to fix it rather than losing all my files from the C: drive.

Steve

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You have to forgive me if I don't get you right after you reply. I'm tied up with several people all at the same time.

First off, you can't "legally" use the Vista installation disc. Your machine is licensed for XP and the Vista disc is tied to your friends computer. I know you understand this, and anyways... I really dislike vista! :) ... (but don't tell anyone now! :) )

Your Dell Dimension should have come with a recovery CD. The recovery Cd, if the same as the Inspirion 5150 CD, is simply a slipstreamed WinXP disk. In other word, its just a regular XP Installation disc with Dell applications added. The difference between the 5150 desktop and laptop may be minimal, therefore any 5150 disc may work on your desktop, and for that matter, any XP disk can be used for recovery, providing its the same version... Home or Pro.

Can you borrow a XP disc from someone so you can run Windows repair? I seriously think this is the only thing you can do to get back up fully running.

By the way, it would be very beneficial that you backup all your important data at this time while you can, and before you run a repair.

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I never threw away any of the disks I got with the PC and I definitely don't have an XP or Dell recovery disk. I can try asking friends I guess although this may take a few days to get hold of a copy. I will try tomorrow.

You say I should backup my data, but this is also a problem as I am unable to copy from my C: drive. I also have a DVD read only, CD RW drive and Sonic CD burner has been disabled by the malware!

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, i'm sure you'll agree.

I've been told to try a hard drive caddy to copy all the data to another PC, but don't want to spend the money without knowing if it is likely to work or not. Would it?

I'll try and find a recovery or XP installation disk and get back to you.

Steve.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

You say I should backup my data, but this is also a problem as I am unable to copy from my C: drive

If you own a USB flash drive and you "click and drag" a file onto the flash drive, do you also get a copying error?

I've been told to try a hard drive caddy to copy all the data to another PC, but don't want to spend the money without knowing if it is likely to work or not. Would it?

Once the drive is installed into an enclosure, the resident OS is out of the picture. Thus, moving files should not be a problem. However, there are considerations. If your user profile is set up in a manner that no one can access the profile, then the files may not be visible on the other computer. Most users don't set up their computer this way and neither does Dell. The way to secure a profile... "make it private"... is done when you create a user password and only if you choose to make it private. If you have no user password, then your profile may be accessible, and as such, so will all your files. If you can borrow an enclosure rather than buy one, you could also go that route to test. One word of caution... since your computer previously had a virus/spyware, I would make sure to scan the hard drive prior to opening it on another computer... for safety's sake!

I'll try and find a recovery or XP installation disk and get back to you.

I'll be here.

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There is no error when trying to copy, the option to copy is just not there. Control C doesn't pick up the file and I am unable to drag the file to another location.

It is possible to open a file and then SaveAs, but to do that for thousands of music, videos and documents is just not happening. I saved copies of the logs onto a flash drive for the malware removal.

There are passwords on the two users set up on the PC, but I will remove them if I go down the route of using a caddy.

Steve.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, with this many things going on, it looks like you're going to have to run the repair.

I would seriously consider slaving the drive in another computer to save your data. By the way, the Dimension 5150 is a desktop, so you may not have to put the drive into an enclosure to connect it to another computer, you could just slave it as long as the host computer has the correct/extra ports to handle the drive.

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok. Problem sorted. Eventually.

I borrowed my parents old desktop only to discover it has an IDE drive. Then I had a brainwave to install windows from their XP disk onto my 2nd hard drive and boot from that.

I have now copied all the files and documents across, so problem over. I have one last question for you though.

I don't want to lose some of the programs I have on my old c: drive but some of them don't work from that drive now and they also don't work when I copy them (the whole program folder) over to the new c: drive. Some however do work.

Is there a way of overcoming this for software purchased, without buying them again?

Cheers
Steve

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Is there a way of overcoming this for software purchased, without buying them again?

Yes and no.

Some software is smart enough to work without the resident registry keys... they just create them again when you run the program if their missing. Unfortunately, the more complex programs won't do this and so you can't just move the program files and expect the apps to run. However, if you purchased the software at one time, then your license should still be valid. I would beg, borrow, or steal (well not steal!) any of your missing apps and use your license to reinstall. Or you might be able to contact the software manufacture and get a legacy copy if the software is old. I once did this with a video editing program from Pegasys. However, if you lost your license, then there's no way other than to repurchase. You could search google for software that might retrieve licenses from your old drive, but I don't know of any off hand. The only ones I'm familiar with are those that retrieve off the resident OS, so if you haven't reformatted the old drive yet, I would try to boot to it and see if you can find some license retrieval software. I'll also look around google to see what I can find. By the way, are there any major software licenses you don't have anymore?

Stevedeckchair

Stevedeckchair

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've been looking at the websites and I can sort it with the activation keys sent to me via email. I've also downloaded all the free software like AVG, Spybot & Malware Bytes to a flash drive, so that I don't have to go online without being tooled up.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at long last. With a bit of luck, the PC may be a bit quicker as well, now all the crap has been removed.

Many thanks for your help, even though as it turns out the last part was quite easy.

This website is excellent and without your's and Elster's help, i'd have wiped the drive a long time ago. I've been on the verge of it a few times!

Very very much appreciated.

I hope you'll forgive me if I say I really hope I don't have to contact you again!! He he.

Cheers
Steve

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You did it all yourself, Steve, with no help from me!

I hope you'll forgive me if I say I really hope I don't have to contact you again!! He he.

Yah, we actually hate it when we have visitors... so stay away! :)

Take care,
makai