Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intermittent boot/shutdown problems. Bad bios? CPU? Mobo?

• Please log in to reply

jupiterrrr

jupiterrrr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all. I usually can diagnose/fix about any computer related problem from software to hardware, but this one has me puzzled. I recently purchased an HP DV5-1002nr laptop with a broken screen at a fairly good price and replaced the LCD. Afterward, I began to notice mannnny problems. First, I have intermittent boot problems. It will hang at the microsoft corporation screen and i notice the HDD LED blinks dimly every second. Sometimes when I boot, the caps/num leds give me a code that suggests corrupted bios, sometimes it suggests bad cpu. When I try to do system recovery, sometimes I can get it to finish almost, but it has improper shutdown and doesn't seem to load all the drivers, sometimes it hangs during recovery. Right now I have made it further than ever. Recovery worked almost all the way. The battery indicator shows plugged in and charging all the time, even when i unplug it. Also my wifi touch button isn't working. I've tried to do a clean install of vista with no luck, tried clean install of XP with no luck. I've tested the HDD, tested the RAM and both are good. Any suggestions? I am completely out of ideas! any help would be amazing!

Advertisements

jupiterrrr

jupiterrrr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Still no resolution. any ideas?