Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown hardware

• Please log in to reply

roastmaster

roastmaster

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have two unknown hardware devices in my device manager. DetectAC2000 showed up after I installed Avant or Maxthon. I dont know where ids0004c came from the only thing I can find is in russian? They are both listed in other devices. I dont think I need these do I? I am running XP SP2. :tazz:

Advertisements

felinewarrior

felinewarrior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, roastmaster,

Did you resolve this? I ask because I have the exact same problem!

Thanks,
FW :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
avant and maxthon are browser plug ins?
I suspect some type of spyware or malware here. I would suggest you go to the malware forum, read the pinned topic at the top "READ THIS FIRST" and follow its advice for online scans, adaware, etc.
a software install should not be making new things appear in device manager (unless its specifically for a piece of hardware)

felinewarrior

felinewarrior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay... no, I do not have the exact same problem. Avant & Maxthon are browsers - I just found that out by searching. Never heard of 'em. I use Firefox. Sorry about lying! It wasn't intentional.

The only thing I'm thinking to pin this on is a new power source. Here's what I have: ANE 20330 Antec TruePower 330-Watt Power Supply.

I've looked up "DetectAC2000" on Antec's site to no avail. However, I've Googled just "AC2000" and came up with one theory: It has something to do with the new power supply. (http://perso.wanadoo...re2/ac2ksum.htm)

I think I'm going to uninstall it and see what happens. I'll let you know. I'm also scanning with Spybot to make sure there's nothing strange on my system.

Thanks, audioboy!

-FW

roastmaster

roastmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have not resolved this! I dont believe I have a malware problem as my system is very clean and very few processes running (it's a daily battle)! I use Firefox sometimes but since I found Maxthon it is way faster than Firefox and tons more features (supercool)! Are you suggesting this is caused from my power supply, I have not had any trouble and this is a fairly new and dependable power source. It has not been there until recently. When I google ids0004c I get russian sites. I have tried to translate but it does not give me much info. It is driving me nuts!
:tazz: (yes I have a steering wheel sticking out my zipper!) ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, I saw those same russian sites, along with a couple of english references to kapersky anti-virus. it looks like one of there update files has that name. kapersky is a russian made anti virus, so the russian sites makes sense at least...

I didnt find anything about the ac2000 file. I doubt its anything PSU related though.

since you dont have any malware, I now tend to think these entries are actually software "devices" (similar to what you see under sound, audio and video devices, the various codecs installed, etc.). you both mentioned those browsers, so it is probably related to them.
guess its nothing to worry about!

Edited by audioboy, 20 May 2005 - 06:59 PM.

felinewarrior

felinewarrior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, now, I do not have those browsers. I just looked the names up to see what roastmaster was talking about! I'm a Firefox girl.

The reason I looked to the power source as the culprit was (a) it's new; and (b) it has all manner of attachment for extra fans (which I do not have) as well as a temperature gauge (which I also do not have). I haven't added any other devices, so looked to the only new item. (That's it, blame the innocent power source!)

Spybot found nothing on my system, so I am thinking that audioboy is right - it's probably a software device - and it's something I'm just not remembering. I haven't uninstalled the AC2000 thing yet, but will do that this weekend, just to see what happens.

Thanks, fellas!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

(That's it, blame the innocent power source!)

View Post

bad kitty! :tazz:

roastmaster

roastmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That makes sense I am running Kaspersky and it probably showed up around the time I loaded it. My demo is about to expire so I think im going back top my Trend Micro AV, it seems to be just as good. I'll let you know when I uninstall Kaspersky. Ill remove DetectAC2000 and see what happens as well.Ill post my results. :tazz:

felinewarrior

felinewarrior

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, first... I beg you not to beat me.
Second... I am a fool (so see? beating me would be mean.) :tazz:

DetectAC2000 is in the windows\system32 file - under folder FinePointLib.

It has something to do with Verizon, who is my service provider - it's got the Verizon "V" logo thing goin' on. I cannot figure out exactly what it is, but it's in the same folder as an .exe called vzNetDetectEx, so I'm gonna go with ISP-provided spyware of some kind. (Even though Spybot and AdAware didn't find it as such... well, you know how these pesky ISPs can be.)

So, Roastmaster, if you do not have Verizon as an ISP, I am thinking maybe whoever your ISP is uses the same program to keep an eye on you. ("It's all for your own safety, you know," she says sarcastically.) Check to see if you have Motive SmartBridge, too. That's another one that's loaded by ISPs. (And you can lose that one, too.)

I had a problem about 3 weeks ago and ended up reformatting (not by choice, it's a terribly long story, but suffice it to say that I've learned not to trust the advice of one computer dude from school and to always check the stinkin' IDE cables and other hardware before starting a Windows "repair"!!!) After the unnecessary reformat, I had to re-load everything, and needed to use the stOOpid Verizon disc for something or other. I'm sure that's how it got on there - the date matches up, etc.

In any case, it is now going away.

See you next time! ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
no beatings given here...at least not by me! besides, I like cats, I'm just allergic to them.

the netdetect thing sounds like its actually used to find the verizon network, aka your ISP.
this would make sense, especially if your not using static IP's (network administrator types like those).
no worries about it keeping track of where you go. windows does that already.

clean your internet temp files occasionally, it helps clear tracks and gives you space back on your HD.

roastmaster

roastmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz: Good call, I have Verizon and just switched modems, I already got rid of smartbridge but must have missed the ACDetect.

I'm using the Westell Versalink 327w, they originally gave me their wirespeed pos. It couldnt renew the dns for more than five minutes. After a month and a half of arguing about it being my problem ;) i had the same thing happen at work(same exact modem).

They finally sent me the one that was originally promised in their deal for new sign up, my problems went away. They have no idea what they are doing it is a waste of time to call them.

Lets take the beatings out on them!!