Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sata hdd drivers for Xp...Where to get one.

• Please log in to reply

vincecr

vincecr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Bought new Dell laptop Inspiron 1545. Love the machine but hate Vista which came preinstalled. Want to go back to Xp. Rather than dual boot or corrupt disk which came with machine, I have bought a new sata drive (same make,size and model) which I will install.Can anyone help me find or send me details of where I can get a hard disk driver for new sata hdd. All help much appreciated. Vincecr

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Normally, the only time you need Sata drivers is when you're going to install a Raid array... which you're not, I'm guessing.

Have you tried to just skip the F6 option and install XP?

Ratboy

Ratboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
vincecr,

You can get the drivers for your machine from Dell:

Dell laptop Inspiron 1545 Drivers

Edited by Ratboy, 07 September 2009 - 09:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ratboy the link you provided actually does not have Sata drivers except for the Samsung Drives
The correct way is how Makai has suggested.

Ratboy

Ratboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
rshaffer61,

I don't doubt that the information provided by Makai is correct, I just thought that if vincecr is going to install XP, he might need some other drivers.

I'm curious as to how you know that vincecr's computer doesn't have a Samsung drive. I tried looking for his system configuration but couldn't find anything more that his OS. I'm new here and still trying to find my way around. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place for it. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know but XP does not need SATA drivers unless there is a Raid configuration being put together.
Once the drives are in the system then the bios must be adjusted to show the SATA drive as the primary bootable drive.
Now in Vista that could be a different story.
Sata has become the industry standard and most new MOBO's only have one IDE controller on them. Most builders are using SATA drives instead of IDE drives now due to the speed increase along with the capacity of the SATA drives being larger then IDE.

Ratboy

Ratboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Excellent. I'll have to remember that. Thank you.