Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My first computer

• Please log in to reply

FireStorm146

FireStorm146

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is my first time to build a computer and I just wanted to check to see what some people thought about this make up (I had a friend who knows a fair amount of knowledge on computers help me with this.)
Hard drive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CD/DVD Burner:
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
Processor:
AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
Video Card:
EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Memory:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
Motherboard:
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Case:
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power

any other info other then from Newegg.com would be awsome! I also had a budget of no more then $500 and currently it's at $463 minus the shipping. Also just making sure that all these parts will well together.

P.S. I plan to use XP home 32 bit then hopefully later on Update to Windows 7

Edited by FireStorm146, 07 September 2009 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi and welcome, sorry for the delay in responding.

The only two concerns I have with your system is that the motherboard requires DDR3 RAM and you have chosen DDR2. This is incompatible and will not fit or work should you force it.

The other concern is the PSU, as a general rule pretty much never trust a PSU that comes included with a case (the exception being Antec in most instances). Definitely ditch the included PSU and grab something a bit more stable and quality.

Cheers