Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP sound

• Please log in to reply

jgsax

jgsax

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, let me start off by saying my sound card works fine and all my programs have sound. I even have Microsoft money and it plays a startup sound.

However, the sound scheme in windows XP is no longer working. I can go to control panel/sounds and manually check the sounds and they play but when I start up or end windows there is no start or end sound and there is no sound for exclamation etc.

I don't recall what happened when it stopped working or how long ago it stopped but I use to have a sound at startup and end and a ding when I did something windows didn't like.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can select windows default in the sound from the control panel. Have you tried that

jgsax

jgsax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the reply but I have tried to do the windows default and all it did was change the sounds to the original windows sounds (ie windows sound at startup) but it still didn't play the sounds when I started windows.)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you using standard sounds for these events, or custom ones? sometimes custom files will stop working if the path gets lost to where they live.
if you saved your sounds as a scheme, re-select taht scheme.

jgsax

jgsax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I restored the windows sound scheme to the default sounds and I can manually get them to play but they won't automatically play when windows loads and ends.

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
;) I am having the same problem as jgsax. I had to restore the audio device. There are 3 profiles sit up on my PC. The other profiles can play all the sounds. My profile can now play DVD, on-line music, etc. But it doesn't play the sounds when I log off and log on or the other sounds I had programmed to open or close programs, etc. The other two profiles does but mine doesn't. I did everything jgsax did. restore the default, etc. Logged on and off. I just can't understand why it works on the other two profiles. :tazz: I am sooooooooo frustrated. ;) :)

:)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ow, something is screwed up with your sound hooks. try putting a different sound (one you know works) into an event that doesnt work, see if that does anything. same thing with the start sounds, whatever doesnt work currently. attach that to an event you know works, see if it plays.

novelist, same thing. also, do you have administrator rights on your profile? if not, that may prevent you from performing some changes hardware/ software wise.

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your response but that didn't do it. I am the administrator on the PC and I did check to make sure. It does play the sample sounds. I mean when you associate a sound with logging off and I can hit the button to hear how it will sound. But it just doesn't work when I actually log off.
As I stated the sound plays on the other profiles so I did a comparison between my profile and one other. The other different that I located so far was that I changed my color scheme, background and appearance. So I changed some of the things like that under that profile and lo and behold, have no idea why, but now that profile sounds will not play when I open or close a program, like it did before. But it still play the logoff and logon sounds. What would that have to do with the sounds?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do you have windows plus loaded, perhaps? I don't have it, but does it have a theme manager?

Does setting the theme to a default in display restore everything? Since themes have special sound associations....just guessing here.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Have you intalled any games or software with sound since the last time you had working sound? Maybe you got some program taking the sound over.

why do you want the windows sounds on? they make ur computer slower and slower and...

lemme know.

thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

jgsax

jgsax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. :tazz: I finally got an answer from Microsoft and was basically told to create a new user to see if the sound worked. It did but doesn't work on my "old user" profile. I then had to move all my files from the old user folder to the new user profile in order to have the same desktop, and other settings. I also had to import all my email files. There was a couple of programs that didn't recognize the "new user" and I had to reinstall them.

That was a lot of trouble to go through just to get these dumb sounds in windows but it's done and now I have 2 users in windows for one person. How dumb is that? ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
pretty dumb...the fact that microsoft gave up on fixing it is telling. theres some kind of bug that they havent fixed...you were lucky enough to find it!
there is a way to copy profiles between users, but I havent done it myself. I usually call up the IT guys at work for that type of stuff...you could search around the microsoft.com knowledge base for it, but it sounds like your working now.
if all the stuff you need is moved from the old user, you could delete that profile.

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for all your supplies and I am sorry I am just getting back since I forgot my password. I did what jgsax did and just created a new profile and moved all my files to the new profile. When I went to delete the old profile the system asked about saving my files in a folder and I did so now I have two files. And the new profile has all the sounds.
;)
I have a new problem but since I am at my main office I am going to see if someone here knows the answer. I was running out of space and I couldn't figure it out so I took it to COMPUSA and they said it needs to be repartition. So I had them to do that in fear that I might mess it up. I brought it home yesterday evening and when I went to boot it up it says I have no boot file and needs the system disk. Ok, they said about file lost but me :tazz: thinking they were talking about my personal files. No laughing please. So I put the system disk in and now it states I have no hard disk drives and to make sure it's turn on. Haven't a clue. I am going to call them back but I can't until they open. It's a little bit too early at the moment. My fault.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, they screwed it up, they shoulf fix it.

Sounds like they installed something else that altered the boot sector...anything I would suggest would undo what they did, and cause additional problems.

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for responding. That makes me feel better since you said they screwed it up and should fix it. Also, I did talk to one individual here and she said that when I was giving her the events she thought the same thing. She said he should had been more explicit when he said files. And she said the same as you did. Well, now I know for sure at least it wasn't all me. I feel better....no home PC but I feel better. :tazz: