Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP sound

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the problem you had that prompted you to restore is they probably didn't alter the boot.ini file after doing what they did...or they did alter it and should not have.

The second issue....did they install something like goback ?

Advertisements

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I talked to one the tech at COMPUSA. Now lets see if I can get this right. He said that he's pretty sure that there is a third party scsi. Well, I do remember when I was trying to boot it up it did asked me something about that and I answered no. He said that it would be a disk with my drivers on it. I believe he either said an ATA drive or SAS drive. Sometimes it's pretty hard to distinguished letters. I do have a disk with all my drivers. I was told to do that and if that doesn't work to call back. I did asked about altering the boot sector and the boot.ini file but since he didn't work on the PC he was unsure. But asked me if that's all I brought the PC in for repartition he's pretty sure that's what it is. I'll try that when I get home and hopefully it'll work.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the compusa tech was probably referring to SATA drivers. this would only apply if you have a SATA drive.
Im not liking that they screwed it up, and want you to try and do the fix. I would suggest you make them fix it up, since they did not do the complete job you paid them for, and right now your machine doesnt work at all!

did you have your data backed up to CD or a hard drive somewhere? hopefully they didnt screw up and wipe your data, but Im not 100% sure, given the info you have described to us...

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, what the guy wanted me to do didn't work. It wanted me to put a floppy in Drive A and all my system drive, programs, etc are on CDs.
I am going to have to take it back but before I do I just want to ask a question. I don't want to get there and have them talk rings around me because a person can talk a good game and make it sound believable if you're not sure. I have some of my data on an external drive, CD and here at work so that's good to go. The guy told me that when they repartition some times files are lost. He didn't specify and I didn't think to ask him but was he talking about the data files or the program files or both? I think he should had specified. Also, once the repartition is done shouldn't I be able to boot up whether or not I lose any of these files? I am sorry but I've repartition an Oracle and an M204 database and doing that never even caused me to lose the database itself. I just had to backup the data. That's it. I am just unsure about this and I asked a friend here and she's use to Unix and wasn't sure. I know it sounds like I should know. Thank you.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
repartioning a hard drive will often lead to data loss, though it can be reversed in some cases. programs such as partition magic can be used to recover the data if a partition has been changed and the drive has not been reformatted. I have not used that program myself, but know others who have revived their systems using it.
in this case when we refer to data, it means anything on the drive. so it is both the user data and the OS and system data, programs, all of it.

do you have a receipt stating what they did originally? if you could post that, along with how they phrased the requested service (what you asked them to do) on that, it might help figure out what the situation is- try and figure out if and where the communication breakdown happened, as what they actually did to the system.

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I talked to the guy I told him I was losing space. I hadn't logged on in two weeks so when I did I had only 10MB of space and my restore had been suspended. I need at least 200MB. I told him this and he asked me did I clean up my files and I said I did but it didn't recover enough space and I wasn't sure what I should be deleting. He checked and find out that I had more space then I can really see so he suggested repartitioning. He said that if they do that then I might lose my files. And did I have them backed up. Well, the reason I only thought he was talking about data files because when I got the PC it came with all the backup software. I thought all PCs came like that. This is why I only thought he was talking about data files. I have the receipt but it's at home.

I talked to a friend today and he said that if the PC was working alright at the capacity it was two weeks ago then it's a possibility that there was a lot of data that was downloaded from the internet and I couldn't find them and since I was unsure which files I could delete, all he had to do was take off all the unnecessary files. I don't know how true this is.

I talked to another individual at compusa this morning and told him what happened and that my PC will not boot up. He said that doesn't sound right you should still be able to boot up. He told me to bring it in and he'll fix it and restore the operating system. They probably make me pay for restoring the operating system.

Anyone reading this DON'T GO TO COMPUSA. :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
its good that the guy said things dont sound right, and that he will fix it. this sounds to me like they know they screwed up.
take it in, have that guy work on it, but make sure you know what its going to cost if anything before he starts.

the way I see it, they shouldnt charge you to fix a problem they created. be firm about that.
I am really confused why the first guy said repartioning would free up space...sounds like you got the junior 2nd day of training tech.

Clean up! is great little tool for getting space back from the the bloat that happens over time. it cleans up your temp files, internet temp files, cookies, history, etc. it can be surprising how much space can be recovered.
gotta love quality freeware!

novelist2

novelist2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for all the information that you have provided. I took the CPU in and the guy took it in the back and I swear I think he was in there for about 5 minutes and he brought it back and said it should work now. I am standing there looking at him likes he's crazy and thinking "yeah...sure". So I guess he saw that look on my face and he hooked it up and low and behold he got the same error. So I stood there while he fixed it. He opened the box and then went to setup and once he did those two things he hooked it back up and it booted up completely. He said that someone didn't hook the hard drive back up once they cleaned it out. And that they changed the settings from which it was booting. So he changed it back. The good thing is that none of my program or data files were missing. So my PC is working fine. I see now that instead of seeing that I have 6.7GB of space I have 60GB of space and 55GB of free space. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not being able to use all the space but at least it works. I wish I would had known about that cleanup tool in the beginning but lessons learned. Oh, by the way I was not charged for the services and he did apologize. Thanks again for your help.

DjFusion

DjFusion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i am new here, but i think i've found a fix which doesn't involve any restarting and takes less tan 2 minutes.

For Windows XP:

1. Click Start> Run...> Regedt32.exe (Which is the Registry Editor)

2. Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

3. Check for a value in the right pane that looks like this:

<No Name> :REG_SZ:

4. If this value is present, click the value, and then press DELETE.

5. Quit Registry Editor.

AND DONE NOW YOU GET ALL YOUR SOUNDS BACK! HURRAY... ;) :tazz:

I know this is about enough but for true investigators on i just felt like typing this up, it's more information about the error.

By default, there are no values at the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The value described in this article can be created by a third-party program. Although there may be other values at the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, it is not typically necessary to delete them to restore your sound events.

Corel Word Perfect Office may cause this problem when the following value is created at the root of HKEY_CURRENT_USER:
PerfectFit Logical Syntax Characters:REG_SZ:"*<>|
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

eton2768

eton2768

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I've been having a similar problem to that mentioned above - windows xp doesn't seem to be able to play any of those sounds in the scheme anymore. i've checked the WAV files and they play in windows media player. other things like mp3s play on windows media player and itunes, dvds are ok, cds are ok, though when i try to play avi's and mpgs on VLC media player, there is no sound (whereas yesterday everything worked fine!).

I've tried reinstalling my sound card drivers (though this shouldn't be the problem since I can actually get output, just not from every program that i use), i've fiddled around as much as i can with the control panel settings for sound and audio etc, but nothing's working!

i've tried changing users to see if it makes a difference (as jgsax did) and checked up on my registry (as suggested by djfusion).

any other suggestions??? i'm going insane - it just doesn't make any sense because i haven't changed anything on my computer for the last few days, and suddenly this has happened!

thanks

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Please start your own topic and don't put yours in someone elses. Keep things understandable for the rest.

thanks.