Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just reformatted....(NEED HELP BAD!)

• Please log in to reply

joebob

joebob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i just reformatted and reinstalled windowx XP home and went to connect to the internet an i cant. im posting this from my old computer thats on the same connection and it works fine. any ideas.

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
in device manager: dont know where that is ?
right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager
check to makesure you dont have a yellow question mark for your network adapters card. If so, you are missing drivers, if its a red x, then you need to enable that adapter. right click, select enable.

If those ideas dont solve your problem, then you need to verify that you even have a IP address
go to run, type cmd
command line screen pops up,
type: ipconfig /all
this will give you an ip address that your (i suspect you have a router) router is issuing
find where is says IP address, what is the address?
you should beable to ping that computer from the working computer visa versa: this is used to check working connection

try those see if you even have a working connection.

Good Luck

joebob

joebob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah i can ping with 0% loss and i can coonedt to the internet with my win98 comp. its just the XP com i just formated with the connection problems. i typed ipconfig and have no DNS and no default gateway if that helps.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Ok its obvious that your 98 computer works just fine, and your XP is the problem computer. what does it say in your device manager?
yellow x or red x, or everything looks fine on your network adapter?

If everything looks fine, you might want to reinstall the network adapter drivers that came with the motherboard (if you have that disk).
from the sounds of it, having no Gateway, tells me your not receiving a signal, which is your initial complaint.

Sometimes, even though Windows XP may have all the device drivers, somethings may not be complaint. I have had weird problems until I installed the factory direct drivers that came with the motherboard.

Do you know if your ethernet connection is onboard or a PCI card?