Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp, uncdms.dll error message after restoring

• Please log in to reply

rouj

rouj

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My computer after restarting sometime during the night, would not or could not start windows. A black screen saying that it was having trouble came up with options to restart, restart at last known working point(or something like that), or I could start in the safe mode. The only one that would work was the safe mode. I went into that and backed up my files, then tried to start it again in hopes that it would work. No such luck. I did a system restore using the disks I got from HP. When it was going through it's final process an error message kept coming up saying the the UNCDMS.dll file was missing, we used the task manager to stop the process, and we were able to get to our desk top, however if the compter needs to restart,the restoring final process starts all over again and the error message comes up again. I need to know how to fix this, Please. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello rouj.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

This is part of the windows search program.
Try the following:

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything that relates to this file and restart.

If this does not work then we can try running SFC /SCANNOW to replace the file.

rouj

rouj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK, I unclicked the windows search, and restarted the computer. I got a blus screen that read please wait while Windows prepares to start..., the my desk top popped up for a second, then it went back into the one time start-up process screen, and there it sat for over an hour. I'm not sure how long this process is supossed to last. The uncdms.dll error message did not show up.Do I need to fix this file in order for the startup process to complete? Thanks again for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this after doing the msconfig steps?
When the system came up it should have a popup that says
Windows System Configuration
On the bottom of that popup probably left side there should be a little box that says Do not show or start..blah blah blah
Click that box and the popup will not come up again.

rouj

rouj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes,this was after the msconfig. I never saw a pop up for Windows System Configuration, with a little box at the bottom. The screen that comes up, is the one time startup page that came up after the system was restored. It says that the computer will shut down several times during this process. However the computer never does that, it just sits there. Will this continue to come up if I do not allow it to finish its function?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get the system to boot into safe mode?