Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2 Issues -XP

• Please log in to reply

casenova2k

casenova2k

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I recently had my motherboard crash on me and had an "ex"local computer shop put a new one in for me. It was fixed, but the machine is basically back in it's original state w/o any of my updating. I have recently tried bringing it back to the 21st century, but I've had numerous issues. I've tried installing IE 8 & Media Player 11 but I need XP Service Pack 2. I tried downloading that, and I keep getting an error which is pasted below for you after file extraction:

"amd64\update\update.exe is not a valid WIN32 application."

I have seen a few sites with this being mentioned but no true help to this point. Now when I try to install IE 8, I get the following iesetup.exe entry point not found error:

"The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll."

As for the Media Player 11 issue that I mentioned above, Here is the error that popups up with a setup cannot continue heading:

"Unsupported Operating System"
"This version of Windows Media Player can only be installed on a computer that is running Windows XP service pack 2"

I have used this site one other time and was extremely pleased with the help I received so I'm turning to you again for any assistance. I have tried looking for the issue everywhere on my own first with little luck. I believe that while the SP2 installation was going in it may have got corrupted and my OS is now a "frankenstein" version of it in the words of someone else.

Can someone PLEASE assist me? My computer is needed by my wife for college.

I thank you in advance for your cooperation!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please only get the updates from the Microsoft website, nowhere else.
Media Player 11 only runs on Service Pack 2 or later, by design it will not work on any XP system below SP2. Same with Internet Explorer 8.

Providing the machine has Service Pack 1 already, you can go straight to Service Pack 3 which includes everything that was added as part of Service Pack 2. Under XP the packs are cumulative.

SP3 is available here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en