Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Norton Ghost to clone HDD

• Please log in to reply

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys,

Before I carry out an XP re-install, I want to clone my C:\ (160 GB) partition to a smaller partition (~80 GB) so should the worst happen I can revert back to the current install.

There's only ~50 GB of data on the C:\ partition, so there's plenty of space within the 'backup partition'.

I've cloned HDDs several times in the past to go from the 60 GB HDD my PC came with several times until the current setup, but they've always been getting larger.

When I try to clone to a smaller partition I get error messages from Ghost 9. Is it possible to do this? I've defraged the source partition as best as I can using Defraggler.

Any ideas anyone? I don't want to spend the cash for another backup HDD of min 160 GB... I just want a quick solution so I can get a clean install of XP going and hopefully get a useable PC again!

Cheers for any help received,

John.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
by ghost drive to drive, you won't be able to do this. However, if you do a partition to partition, you might be able to be successful.

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, yes to clarify: I'm attempting to copy one partition (C:\ ~150 GB, 2 partitions total) on a 160 GB HDD to another smaller partition (~80 GB) on another larger HDD (320 GB, 4 partitions total).

The explanatory text for the copy fail was as follows (also see attached jpeg):

"The drive copy did not complete successfully. Cannot copy source drive to destination location. Error E0BB005A: Unable to read sector 191,497,872. Error E7C30011: Attempt to access sector 191,497,872 beyond end of device (160,740,720). (0xE0BB005A)"

Does this mean it isn't possible with Norton Ghost?

If not, is it possible with any other software? I really don't want to buy a HDD just so I've got a backup (although obviously I'll just get the cheapest IDE HDD I can find...)

Cheers again,

John.

EDIT: corrections and clarification.

Attached Thumbnails

• drive_copy_error.JPG

Edited by JKintheUK, 09 September 2009 - 02:20 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will not be able to clone a 160gb drive/ partition to a smaller drive/ partition.
Its like trying to put 10 #s of potatoes in a 5 # sack. It won't fit.

Your option is to back it up as an image file.

I am not sure of other programs

JKintheUK

JKintheUK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ah of course! I didn't consider making an image file.

Many thanks, I'll give that a go...