Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is this file necessary?-C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\

• Please log in to reply

luvpats

luvpats

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I found this file C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SOFTWARE and I was wondering if it can be deleted. It is a locked file and even Unlocker cannot delete it unless I go into safe mode and delete upon boot. But I am afraid to do so because it seems to have dependencies.

Can anyone tell me what this file is? Is it necessary to run the computer? And why is it so big in size? It doesn't have an extension so I have no idea what it is.

Also it was developed on 6/19/09 even though I have had my computer for a couple of years. There are other files in the folder but this is the largest one.

I posted another issue regarding NET Framework which never got answered so hopefully I can get help with this file.

Thank you!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
How big is it and what's in the folder? What brought your attention to this folder? Also what kind of machine are we talking about... model number, laptop, desktop?

luvpats

luvpats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
%SystemRoot%\System32\config folder apparently it has something to do with the registry settings for the computer it was just getting large in terms of KB's.

I have Dell P3 Optiplex 200 Windows XP3 IE8 dial up 256MB

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
It doesn't only have to do with the registry... it is the registry. It's the hive file that holds [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software] on the disk

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't have that folder in %SystemRoot%\System32\config. I'm going to guess it's probably reference to Dell software. If it's only in kbs, then I wouldn't worry about it. By the sound of your post...

And why is it so big in size?

... I thought it was like in GIGABYTES! :)

If you suspect the folder to by spyware related, then I suggest you start a new topic in the Malware forum. However, before you start a new topic go HERE and follow the directions.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts

I don't have that folder in %SystemRoot%\System32\config

You sure there hoss? Go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following in there

%SystemRoot%\System32\config

Press enter and the folder should open up. It's a file without an extension; not a folder.

Edited by NeonFx, 09 September 2009 - 10:33 PM.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Windows saves the registry onto the harddrive using what are called hive files. These hive files are files without an extension so they can easily be confused for folders. The OP was asking about the SOFTWARE file, not a folder called software in the config folder.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, I guess my post was as mixed up as the OPs. By the time I finished reading it I thought he meant he had a Software "folder". That's what happens when you need to go to sleep! :)

By the way... my name is no "hoss".

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
My apologies. "Hoss" is slang for dude or man... I didn't mean anything by it.