Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Channel Ram set up?

• Please log in to reply

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Ok, I have heard that some motherboards have different ways of labeling their dual channel set ups for Ram, and the manual for the motherboard, ASUS M4A78 PRO, is a bit confusing when it comes to the configuration. Can anyone tell me the correct configuration for a dual channel configuration. Should my 2 RAM dimms be in the same color slots or should one be in one color and the 2nd in the other color slot?

Also I was wondering if you could tell me the same information for my bro's motherboard, Asus A8N-LA.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Same colors - as noted on page 1-10 of your M4A78 Pro manual, in the green box, it says Channel A uses sockets DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2, and the illustration just above and to the right shows the physical layout of those two sockets. And at the top of page 1-15 of your manual it says, "Supports two modules inserted into either the yellow slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration." So you need to use the same color for each pair.

ASUS (if you enter A8N in the left side "Input Model to Search" box) shows only A8N, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, A8N5X, A8N-E, A8N-E Coolpipe, A8N-SLI, A8N-SLI Deluxe, A8N-SLI Premium, A8N-SLI SE, A8N-VM, A8N-VM CSM, and A8N-VM CSM/NBP. There is no A8N-LA listed. This tells me it is an OEM motherboard used by another PC maker, in this case, HP/Compaq. A check at HP shows a problem - a poorly labeled Figure 1 under Motherboard layout and photos - where it incorrectly labels all four slots DIMMA1. However, the same rule applies - same color for same channel - as noted here.