Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partitioning

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... now I got it! :) Wow, talk about confusion! No wonder you were running raid... with 5 disks and all.

Back to the subject at hand. If you're going to wipe the raid drives, why are you worried about the excessive boot time?

Advertisements

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Sorry for the delay.
Only because originally (not recently) it used to boot very quickly and now, 2 minutes. I therefore presumed it had some sort or problem. If you think it's OK then fine. I do intend changing the drives having read your previous article, but this will take time as I have to buy them first. Why I ended up with 5 disks? The more information I gathered (photos) I found I was running out of space, so instead of buying one big disk I kept adding a bit more and so ended up with 5 disks.

George

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problems with the delay... I was plenty busy today/tonight!

Well, if it were non-raid with XP loaded, then 2 mins to boot from, bios to desktop, is too long in my opinion. I would say under a minute is typical for XP for a non-raid setup. However, I really can't state why your raid is booting so slowly in comparison to before, but it may be something about how the raid was set up with all the drives originally and now that setup has changed but the OS is still expecting something. I don't know.

As for the 5 disks, I totally understand. I also never like to put all my eggs in one basket, so I'll never buy a 1Tb or more HDD! :)

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Apologies for the delay. Since reading your comments, I have looked at several web forum and tech review pages and the general opinion seems to be that Raid is not all it's cracked up to be, (r should I say for the home PC user anyway). Have copied what you said about setting up partitions and once I have a new drive in place will use the information. As a layman, would you recommend my using an accredited Disk Partition Manager - such as Acronis? I have no experience of disk partitioning by the way.

George.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have tried Easeus partition master and it is quite easy to use, esp for me.

http://www.partition...om/download.htm

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Acronis is good, but I don't use it to partition, only for imaging. So, I don't really know what it can do. One day, I'll have to try it! Seagate HDD's (the HDDs I prefer) used to have a Disk Manager software for partitioning. However, if you go to the Seagate website, you'll see they have replaced their own software with that from Acronis. You can download the Seagate Disk Wizard (actually Acronis) from HERE. Note, I have never used this software, so I don't know how to use it. However, Acronis is very good imaging software, I'd be surprised if their formatting wasn't as good.

Like I said, I don't use Acronis, but I do have the old Seagate Disk Manager utility uploaded to a website. I even created a tutorial for a user in this forum, in the form of a Word document, with all the Disk Manager screens. (The screens are of Ontrack Disc Manager, but they are the same). However, to use the Seagate disk software requires a floppy drive. Do you have one?

In the old days, most HDD manufactures used to have their disk utilities readily available on their websites, but with the advent of "fast and easy" installs, such as XP, some manufactures pulled the formatting utility and made people just use the formatting capabilities of Windows. Unfortunately, Windows is a snail when it comes to formatting. Very large snail! I'm uncertain which manufactures actually still have their formatting software available, so you'll have to check on this.

By the way, if you don't mind spending money (which I did since I do so many computers) you can also buy Ontrack's Disk Manager. Basically, Ontrack was the HDD software that all manufactures based their own on. Many are in fact the same utility with the only difference being that sometimes, say, the Fujitsu disc manager couldn't be used on, say, a Western Digital.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Yes, I do have a floppy drive still.

George

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go HERE and download the Seagate Disk Wizard. Just click on Free user. You may need to wait a few seconds before the download is ready. You will need two blank floppies. Just launch the program and it'll prompt you to create them. If you purchase Seagate drives, you can use this to format. If you need help with that, I'll upload the tutorial.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Many thanks. May be a few days till I post back.

George

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problem... just send me a PM if I miss your posting.

Advertisements