Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WLAN Card not recognised in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Oliver H

Oliver H

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've recently been asked to upgrade the hard drive in a Toshiba Satellite A100-570 and also to reinstall Windows, I have the computer running but the wireless card isn't detected at all by windows, it doesn't appear within the device manager and even though the device hadn't been detected by windows I proceeded to installing the drivers from the Toshiba website, this however hasn't work.

In the device manager there is 1 unknown device "Ethernet Controller", I'm under the assumption that this was a LAN card not a WLAN card, I've installed the LAN drivers and hard wiring the internet works.

I also booted into the Ubuntu live cd and it detects the Atheros card and alerts me about using proprietory drivers I accepted and have been able to connect to an unsecured network within Ubuntu however it wouldn't connect to my security enabled network.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the WLAN card to be registered within Windows XP.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Device Manager labels wireless cards as Network Controllers and LAN ports as Ethernet Controllers.
Note that if the laptop has Bluetooth functionality a Bluetooth LAN port will be flagged up as Ethernet.

Oliver H

Oliver H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So it's a LAN driver that hasn't been installed although the ethernet port works fine.

Any suggestions on how to get the WLAN working?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
yes LAN is pretty standard and get recognized straight off, I would go back to the toshiba site and look under the model name for the driver again,or send an email to them, does the computer come with any install CDs, normally an ISO which doesn't help here but if not, you're in luck

Oliver H

Oliver H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The only numbers on the card inside the laptop are:

AR5BMB5
PA3458U-1MPC

2.4DSOF4

Askey Corp.

These numbers have no labels to explain what they do. Also I do have some recovery media but I was under the assumption that you needed the recovery partition from the hard drive to be present when running the media. As the old hard drive is dead this isn't possible.

Oliver H

Oliver H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've found the recovery meda and I'm currently running it on the laptop, I will update you as the the status of the WLAN card.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
stop!!!, if you run the restore disk you end up with a new system yes but losing all your data with it, no, what you want is just the laptop model number and then to badger those folks at Toshiba, isn't the laptop detail either written on the laptop or the restore disk then

Oliver H

Oliver H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There is no data on the laptop as it has a new hard drive.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
in that case the restore disk is unlikely to help because the CD is usually just a key which opens an ISO image stored on your other hard drive, but if it actually holds the ISO image you'll be in luck, however, if you still have your old hard drive with the system on it, you could put it back into the computer, then gather the drivers with "driver magician" and then replace the old harddrive with the new one, no need to buy "driver magician" just use it for the trail time to get the job done, another reason why I like linux then

http://www.drivermagician.com/

Edited by fleamailman, 10 September 2009 - 11:35 PM.