Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

tomj25

tomj25

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi all having a problem with my internet i have mozilla and ie , problem im having is when im on mozilla it shuts down with no warning every hour on so sometimes 6 or 7 times in a hour !!! when i use ie its not so bad but still shuts is selfdown maybe 3 times a hour , i have tried re-installing both of them but made no difference im useing xp pro sp2 not sure what else to do , have scanned for virus with avira and finds nothing
thks tom

Advertisements

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

hi all having a problem with my internet i have mozilla and ie , problem im having is when im on mozilla it shuts down with no warning every hour on so sometimes 6 or 7 times in a hour !!! when i use ie its not so bad but still shuts is selfdown maybe 3 times a hour , i have tried re-installing both of them but made no difference im useing xp pro sp2 not sure what else to do , have scanned for virus with avira and finds nothing
thks tom

What is shutting down, your browser or your internet connection? What is your computer, desktop or laptop/notebook? and operating system/RAM etc? Wireless or hard wired? Do you have the latest versions of Firefox and IE?
More information may get you help. :)

Edited by goldhound, 13 September 2009 - 05:44 AM.

tomj25

tomj25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi sorry should have put more info :) ok its the browser that shuts down have installed lastest versions of both ie and firefox but has made no differance, useing a hp dv1000 laptop with xp pro 1.6g 480ram not the best but it does what i need for now lol, and with a wired connection hope this helps futher thks tom

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello tomj25,

Please be advised that i am not an expert and can only speak from my own experience in which i have found that as much info as possible helps the helpers.
Are your browsers crashing only on certain web pages, particularly log in pages? Are you being redirected in your searches?
Are your Microsoft updates current? Did this problem start after any changes you made or downloads?

tomj25

tomj25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
hi the browsers crash on any page dont matter what im on ie google searching , facebook ect just crashs without warning , when im searching dont get redirected no , not made any changes and dont do any downloading , and all up to date , problem just started as say without warning firefox seems to be the worst but ie is slowley chatching up !! thks tom

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
With my older XP machine i had the same issues. I had to disable some add ons in both IE and Firefox by trial and error :) . I also had an issue with flashplayer and had to uninstall and upgrade.
I have heard that there are some people having issues with Facebook trying to access a non existent web cam on their machine and crashing their browser.