Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

win xp home

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok we have a boot.ini problem I believe.
This is going to be a long set of instructions so please take your time and let's try to fix this boot.ini problem.

If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 (Running "ChkDsk")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Running "ChkDsk"
  • At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

chkdsk /r

• Press ENTER
  • Let this scan run UNINTERUPTED until completed (30 min or so depending on the drive)
  • Report any errors in your next reply
  • Once the scan is complete, Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will now restart, boot from the CD again and continue with the next steps.

Using "BootCfg /Rebuild" to fix the "Boot.ini" file

• At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

bootcfg /rebuild

• Press ENTER
    Note: The bootcfg /rebuild command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP installations, and then displays the results. You can add the detected Windows installations.
  • When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

NOTE: You may see more than one entry here if you have a dual boot windows system. If this is the case follow this procedure for ALL installations to make sure that all OS's are added correctly
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

NOTE: This is the name of the operating system. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
  • Type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER
  • You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

• Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
  • Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will restart, and the updated boot list may appear when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.
  • If you see a Boot list with multiple entries choose the XP Home option to boot to windows.

Advertisements

rwils53

rwils53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
RSHAFFER
ALL WAS WORKING WELL ACCORDING TO YOUR LAST MESSAGE UNTIL I TYPED EXIT AFTER
Type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER, I TYPED EXIT AND P/C RESTARTED TO NORMAL WINDOWS AND HALTED DURING THE BOOTUP PROCESS.
I NEVER RECIEVED "Your computer will restart, and the updated boot list may appear when you receive the:
"Please select the operating system to start" message.
If you see a Boot list with multiple entries choose the XP Home option to boot to windows" MESSAGE AT ALL.
WHAT NOW....

P.S.
TRIED THE SAME PROCESS A 2ND TIME WITH THE SAME RESULTS, WINDOWS DIDN'T LOAD..

Edited by rwils53, 10 September 2009 - 03:21 PM.

rwils53

rwils53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
i HAVE A QUESTION:
AFTER TYPING /FASTDETECT AND ENTER, THEN EXIT, WHICH EXITS ME FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY, DO I SELECT F8 OPTION ON THE RESTART. IF SO i DIDN'T DO THAT...
DOES THIS HELP......

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
try the F8 and let em know what happens. Sorry for the long response time.
Been dealing with some issues.

rwils53

rwils53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
RSHAFFER61

TRIED A NORMAL WIN BOOT... IT FAILED
TRIED A SAFE BOOT (NOTE) THEIR ARE NOW 2 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITIONS TO SELECT FROM, BOTH HAVE THE SAME EFFECT, THEY WILL NOT LOAD IN A SAFE MODE...
IS IT TIME FOR THE BIG HAMMER??????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

PLEASE READ LAST COMMENTS, P/C STILL DOWN RWILS

I understand this is frustrating but please understand we are not here all the time and may not answer back as fast as you would like..
The problem is still in the boot ini file and we will need to try and do a repair installation.
This time let's do it by the book.

Repair Installation Instructions

Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.
At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
The system will now reboot
When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

rwils53

rwils53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
RSHAFFER61

I TRIED THE ABOVE PROCESS TWICE, IT DID NOT WORK, FAILED, CAPUTT,
WHAT NEXT

RWILS

Edited by rwils53, 10 September 2009 - 05:22 PM.

rwils53

rwils53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
RSHAFFER61

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, DURING THE LAST 2 DAYS. I NEED TO STOP TROUBLESHOOTING RIGHT NOW. I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE ON 9/14/09 IF THAT IS OK WITH YOU. SOMETHING HAS COME UP AND I NEED TO TAKE CARE OF IT ASAP.

I HOPE THIS FORUM WILL STAY OPEN SO WE CAN CONTINUE OUR WORK....

THIS ISSUE OF THE BAD P/C IS A ROYAL PAIN, AND WITH A FEW DAYS OFF TO THING ABOUT IT MIGHT HELP... SEE YOU THEN

RWILS

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This topic will remain open and no problem with putting everything on hold.
We will await your return. just respond and we will get back with you. If need be just pm me and I will rejoin and continue with assistance.