Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Won't Load w/New MOBO due to PCIExpress

• Please log in to reply

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Co-worker's home PC:

Got hit by lightning, had to buy a new MOBO. New MOBO has PCI Express and he says his old factory-licensed XP (pre SP2) software won't load because PCI Express is only recognized by SP2 or later. He now thinks he needs a 'slipstream' boot CD (w/SP2 or SP3 already integrated) to get past this problem.

Isn't there a way to disable the PCI Express on the MOBO via the BIOS so his pre-SP2 software will load, or is he right in needing the 'slipstream' disk. If the 'slipstream' is needed, where's the best procedure?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh....that's actually not why his XP isn't loading....it's not loading because he's swapped motherboards in the computer...XP CANNOT be transfered to a different hardware profile (such as a new motherboard) without a reinstall (or at least a repair install)

also...since his computer came pre-loaded with XP...he's got an OEM license...an OEM license is tied to "qualifying hardware" at the time of install at the system manufacturer...qualifying hardware includes the motherboard...so as soon as you swap motherboards...your license is now null and void...therefore he CANNOT use that license to reinstall windows.

he'll have to purchase a new license for XP (or vista, or wait for windows 7) if he wants to reinstall it

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
dsenette:

Thanks for the reply. I'll pass it along. He DID mention possibly waiting for windows 7 and buying that.

So are you saying that if your motherboard fails and you cannot purchase the exact same motherboard replacement, you're stuck?

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Twist in the story (although I think he mentioned it previously, but it didn't sink in):

He built this PC himself. And he says he contacted Microsoft about this issue and they told him to go the 'slipstream' route. So it's not OEM software. I guess he bought the OS outright when he built the machine originally.

So can anyone recommend a particular 'slipstream' procedure/site?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not a slipstreamer so i can't really suggest any options

a possible solution would be to use a standard PCI graphics card or the onboard graphics (if there is one) and install with his SP1 disk, then upgrade to SP2 and put the pcie card back in

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Follow these directions on How To slipstream SP2 :)

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
rshaffer61:

Thanks!

dsenette: I'll check with him regarding his board, but my guess is that suggestion came up in the Microsoft conversation...

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
My question is: did he build a PC and took a hard drive from another PC with windows xp installed on it already in hopes of the PC booting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My question is: did he build a PC and took a hard drive from another PC with windows xp installed on it already in hopes of the PC booting?

OP states friend custom built the system so it would seem the Hard drive was bought brand new and then OS was installed from a bought version.