Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Server 2008 won't use Aladdin dongle

• Please log in to reply

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Greetings again,

I posted this topic before, but now I can't find it to continue.
Here is the story.
Windows Server 2008 x64. Installed our proprietary software, which is protected by Aladdin Hasp4 copy protect. Installed the drivers for the key. Newest drivers specifically produced to support Server 08 x64.(or so they claim) I open Device Mangler and look for the USB key, and it appears as Aladdin Hasp key, functioning correctly.
However, the software pops up an error message that a dongle HAS NOT been found immediately upon launch.

Now the interesting thing is I can use a virtual XP console on the same hardware and run the software. Same with virtual Vista x64. So the software is 64 bit compatible, the Hasp drivers are 64 bit compatible, however, Server 08 seems not to be compatible with the physical hardware of the USB dongle. I thought it might be DEP related so I naturally added the software and, just in case, the device drivers to the exception list. That didn't work either.

Calling Aladdin was a waste of time. I spoke with someone who was obviously new to the company, and Hasp4 is a discontinued piece of antiquated technology. He obviously wasn't prepared for these questions.

Are there any Server 08 gurus out there who have run across this or something similar? I'm getting desperate. I have been working on this off and on for weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron M
R&D Jackson Digital Imaging

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Original topic HERE

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I have it figured out.
A mod can close both of my topics.
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what was the resolution?

Aaron_M

Aaron_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The problem if anyone was interested...

Server 08 will recognize and utilize the Hasp4 technology. My programmer was using a single 16 bit SDK in his code. As you are probably aware 64 bit OS will not recognize anything 16 bit.
So, when shown the error of his ways, a 32 bit SDK was inserted in place and BINGO!
I would prefer a 64 bit SDK, for future proofing, but at least it works.

Lesson: Don't believe everything you hear from a programmer. Always check every angle for every permutation.

Thanks

Aaron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
glad you found the issue....i'll put you in for a raise