Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

floppy disk(s) fail (40), no floppy drive installed

• Please log in to reply

moondy

moondy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi All,

Here is the low down. I formatted my PC and figured that after installing XP i'd dual boot Ubuntu (9.04).
So all went well, XP and Ubuntu installed as anticipated i could access both OS' for a couple of hours.

When i was in Ubuntu, i was trying to change my primary monitor (22") to have the toolbar instead of my 19".
I went on Ubuntu forums to see what had to be done, and i needed to reboot for the changes to take effect.

After i rebooted, it didnít list any of my 2 hard drives (150gb raptor, 1tb Samsung) or my Asus DVD/CD drive.

My motherboard (Nvidia 680I) stated 7F which only says in the manual as "Check POST error and display them and ask user intervention".
Well, the lovely post error comes up as:

floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Real helpful right? And considering i have NO floppy drive...(its a custom built PC)
And i have two options, F1 to continue and DEL for BIOS.

I checked BIOS first, reset to default, removed floppy drive from the boot menu, rebooted, same issue.

Hit F1 to continue now, and the only bootable option is the NVIDIA Boot Agent and comes up with this:

NVIDIA BOOT AGENT 231.0528
PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE
PXE-M0F: EXITING NVIDIA BOOT AGENT

This goes on a continuous loop, failing every time. I've checked all cables and it all seems fine.
Now i cant even access my CD/DVD drive (completely disabled) which means i canít even use a recovery disk or what have you.
I am very doubtful its my hard drive...i leaning towards a /boot issue. But i donít really know how i can even approach this.

Any other ideas?

Thank you in advance for your contribution.

Edited by moondy, 09 September 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

hendee

hendee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar issue. I get the floppy disk fail message and I have a custom computer with no floppy. Anybody know the fix? I am running XP pro service pack 3, pentium 4 2.4 with 1.49gigs of ram.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you check the bios to see if there was a floppy drive in the boot sequence and also make sure you disable floppy drive seek in the bios.