Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with booting up computer

• Please log in to reply

gibbocool

gibbocool

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK im totally at a loss. My P4 will not do anything after i switch it on. I have looked elsewhere for help and tried many things but nothing seems to work. When i switch the pc on the fans come on, the hdd spins up, but there is a blank screen and no beeps at all and nothing happens. i tried stripping the system but even if i take the ram and the graphics card off not a beep. I took off the heat sink and was surprised to see the processor was stuck to the bottom of the heat sink, but i removed it with heat from a hair dryer, cleaned it up, put some arctic 5 on and stuck it back in. Still nothing. I did check if any of the pins were bent, they looked fine. I built the system myself and its worked perfectly for about 8 months now but im completely fustrated as to why its not working. any suggestions? the mother board has seperators from the case.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
When you stripped the system down, did you do all of the following?

1. Removed every PCI card leaving only the video card

2. Disconnected all drive cabling at the motherboard & removed power from the drives. (incl floppy, hard drive & optical drives)

3. Cleared the bios using the jumper (for approx 10 secs or more)

4. Disconnected all peripheral devices such as USB devices etc, leaving only the monitor & keyboard

Can you also tell me if your video card is agp & whether you have an integrated video card as well or instead of the off-board video?

gibbocool

gibbocool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Tried all that, still nothing. I have an AGP card as well as on board, i tried removing AGP card and using the onboard but still nothing. Looking around on this website i see that this is actually happening surprisingly frequently. And when i ask around my friends say that it happens and you just have to wait a few days and itl fix itself. Someone should look into this deeper. Im pretty sure that its directly related to the processor. O well.. i'l have to wait and see. :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I doubt it will fix itself and yes we do look into this deeper but it can be any number of components so every post about this problem can be different.

The easiest thing in your case would be to try a pci video card if you could get a hold of one, since the fans and drives spin up I think the cpu would be ok but the lack of beeps suggests the mobo it could be something in the AGP buss on the mobo, a pci card would be a temp fix but atleast tell you what it is.

I would also try removing the mobo from the case, I know you used standoffs but you should still try it.

Look the mobo over very carefully, look at the capacitors for signs of bulging or leaking, check the underside for scorch or burm marks.

Rick

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Follow all of Dobys advice but if the system still has the same problem, remove all the RAM modules (make sure the system speaker is connected) and power it again. You should, in theory, hear a load of beeps due to the absence of the RAM.

Let us know what happens.

gibbocool

gibbocool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi, I bought a new mother board and its working just like new now. thanks for all the help. I just hope it doesnt happen again :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know what it was

your welcome

Rick