Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupted registry files?

• Please log in to reply

mzlead

mzlead

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have windows xp professional and I recently tried to remove temporary files from the disk cleanup, I have 7200 files in temporary files. I tried to clean this up using disk cleaner but it would budge, so I used wise disk cleaner and it removed my compressed files option from the windows xp disk cleanup, in addition my office 2003 won't start, it trys to install, and gets a message missing file sku112.cab insert office cd which I don't have. I was told these problems might be a result of corrupt registry, how do I get back my compressed files, and how do I remove my temporary files? I go to view the files in the temp folder, but there's nothing there, however the folder properties indicates 879 files and 13 folders, there's nothing there so I don't know why it's saying that. Can someone tell me how fix this?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello mzlead.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

mzlead

mzlead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, I will download the file you suggested and hopefully that will remove these temp files. I didn't want a registry cleaner, although that what was suggested might be the problem with the loss of my compressed files and office 2003 not starting, due to corrupt registry files. So now I don't know what to do about that, I might have to reinstall windows xp pro. in order for the disk clean up to work like it used to. And as far as office 2003, I don't know what to do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Clean the Temp Files first.
Have you tried to do a System Restore to a couple of days before using all the nonsense registry programs?

mzlead

mzlead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I used the program you suggest to remove temp files, and it worked like a charm! I'm clean of temp files, so thank you so very much and as far as system restore, yes I did system restore about 3 times and it didn't get me back to where office 2003 or compressed files was working. I initially wanted to remove those temp files and keep my system clean, but I've downloaded of alot of free software to remove temp files and recover lost files to no avail, and I have two hard drives where the compressed files option is deleted. I looked in my registry and its under old check disk folder, so I don't know how that happened. And I see the file sku112.cab the file needed to run office 2003 in the registry, I didn't do anything with those files cause I didn't want to cause more damage, but I'm wondering if that's where the problem is, the registry.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest you post this in the Office forum and see if they can help with the file problem.
One question before you do that though.
Is office working correctly and do the files exist and open when you click on them?

mzlead

mzlead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The files are there, however when I open microsoft word or microsoft office outlook or any other office application, I get the windows installer message indicating it's going to install office, then I get the message missing file sku112.cab please insert cd to install office. I did a search of this cab file and it's in the registry. I also tried to repair office 2003 and the repair is asking for the office cd. The only thing I haven't done is uninstall, which I'm afraid to do, cause I don't have the office cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I suggest starting a topic in the Office forum and include a link to this topic.
That way the tech that helps you there will see what we have accomplished here.
I believe you may have to do a reinstall but maybe they will have another way to fix this issue.